Tropical Fish Keeping banner

catfish? or shark? anyone know?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
It has barbels... Very peculiar. Can't put my finger on what it is, but I can tell you that I've never seen anything like it

Also, it is quite large, and could get larger. Next time I advise you to get the scientific name, or if not, the common name of the fish you intend to buy, and research it abit before buying, you never know. A clown loach you can buy at around 1 inch big, and they end up growing up to 15 inches eventually. That fish you bought might even grow bigger, and outgrow the tank you have him in.

A little research goes a long way

#4 ·
looks similar to an irridescent shark, which is a catfish. definately gotta be a catfish

#5 ·
Causing havick in my tank.

I saw these fish in a tank that was being sold, I felt sorry for them being in the dark and looked pretty beat up, I thought I could save them.
But thier so skittish and really upset my Pacu, even though he's bigger.
He has'nt eaten in 2 days, and has a big scratch on his gill.
I'm in the process of hooking up a 250 gal tank, but right now thier all in a 150 gal.
If they turn out to be Iridescent shark catfish, I need to find homes for them. My 17 in Pacu has top priority.
That'll tech me to stop jumping into things.

Really grateful for your input.

Jo

#6 ·
They look like iridescent sharks or a close relative to me. These fish get to be over three feet in length and, as you've seen, they're very active swimmers so they really need an absolutely huge tank. They're also a lot more carnivorous than your pacu, so if you've got smaller community fish in the tank you can expect those to disappear, especially overnight.

#9 ·
Well I found out they were Irridescent shark Catfish. Between them and my Pacu darting around the tank, one of the catfish busted the heater and cut part of its finn off.It's a wonder they never got Electricuted.
Wow, I just could'nt go through this another few weeks till I got the bigger tank hooked up so I advertised then for free and found a home for them on Sunday. So sad, but I think they be alot calmer in a tank by themselves.
My tank is back to normal, but Pacu's eating habit has'nt returned to normal yet, I hope it does in a few days.
I think I will just stick to my Pacu, disks and other little fishes that all get along wonderful.

#10 ·
Had One

I had one of these fish in the 80s (yes I am dating myself), and I had him for several years until my tank crashed.

THe one I had was never prone to mess with other fish, ate ravenously, and would sometimes be skittish as can be, occasionally banging his head off of the sides of the tank.

He was housed with a good sized severum and a (at that time) Red Devil.

It was an interesting fish because it looked so much like what we all think of as a salt water shark.

I hope it settles down soon.

#11 ·
Oh, we had some of those when I was little! My parents didn't know anything about fish, and my cousin who worked at a fish store recommended them to us, I think she just got a crash aquarium course from another ignorant employee. They were in a 55 gallon community tank-now I know why the other fish disappeared once they got big! They were also extremely light sensitive and would go wild if it were turned on or someone simply walked by the tank. They would zip around and bash their heads into the glass, then just float with their nose in the corner for a while. We thought that they would kill themselves someday. Now that I am older and know about fish it makes me so mad that stores sell these fish knowing what will eventually happen to them. It's awful :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.