Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   feather dusters??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/feather-dusters-18676/)

walkytalky 10-18-2008 08:53 AM

feather dusters???

I have got 3 feather dusters. And 2 out of the three are showing their flowers. Why isn't the 3rd one? I had bought it like 3 days ago and I haven't seen the flower since I have had it in my tank.:roll: It was open when I was at the store.

onefish2fish 10-18-2008 10:05 AM

as far as i know a feather duster is a worm in a tube and the way it works is it pushes out "the feather" to catch food particles in the water. your duster could be stressed and its not sending out its feather or it released it and im pretty sure a new one grows back.

Pasfur 10-18-2008 10:21 AM

This in an interesting question. I think it was 3 months ago in FAMA or possible AFI.... there was an article on Feather Dusters. I can't recall the author, wanting to say Goemans?

A quick summary of the findings. Feather Dusters gather food from the water column, true. However, the size of the particles that they filter is extremely small, and we do not have any commercially prepared foods that they are capable of feeding on. The end summary of the article points out that Feather Dusters slowly starve in captivity until the just eventually disappear from the aquarium.

I have personally kept Feather Dusters on a number of occassions and have had a similar experience. They do fine for 9 to 12 months, slowly shrinking in size, and then one day stop showing their "feathers", never to be seen again.

Your particular tube worm is new to your aquarium and probably has not yet adapted to the environment. It will likely open soon. However, you should probably not expect long term success with these animals.

walkytalky 10-18-2008 12:44 PM

Thank you both for your info.
This is very helpful.:-D

Kellsindell 10-18-2008 04:40 PM

it may sound dumb, but did you check to see if you layed the guy backwards and the feathers are on the other side?

walkytalky 10-19-2008 07:38 AM

ya I checked, and no its not backwards. I think I might move it near one of the other feather dusters and see if its the location of the tank that it doesn't like.I am told they move but this one hasn't moved as yet.

Kellsindell 10-21-2008 08:58 PM

sorry, i didn't want to seem like i was being arrogant or anything...

i have had an instance where my tube worm was wedged inbetween two rocks when they fell and i grabbed the thing out of there and it pulled the tube and left the worm. somehow the worm lived and just spun it another tube. perhaps your tube is empty.

SKAustin 10-21-2008 09:22 PM

Feather Dusters also Drop their heads (feathery parts) on occasion. They will drop the head, and the end of the tube will fold over for a week or two. Eventually, a new head will emerge. It will be much smaller, but will grow to size eventually.

Pasfur 10-23-2008 04:30 PM

Steve - just curious. Have you personally experienced small feather dusters recovering back to full size after loosing their feathers and shrinking? If so, was there a fuge on the system? - Mark

SKAustin 10-23-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 148936)
Steve - just curious. Have you personally experienced small feather dusters recovering back to full size after loosing their feathers and shrinking? If so, was there a fuge on the system? - Mark

Yes Mark. Well, At least to my belief, the Feather Duster made it back to original size (if not full size, darn close to it). There is a fuge on the system as well. I just had the thing drop it's feathers again. This time I'll take closer note of the recovery size and we'll further the discussion.