Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   New to forum, need help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/new-forum-need-help-18670/)

Power0fWill 10-17-2008 09:20 PM

New to forum, need help

Hello everyone, let me start by introducing myself to everyone.

My name is Will, and I am fairly new to the whole fresh water aquarium hobby thing. Currently, i have a 20gl tank which is housing 5 Sunburst platys, 3 albino tiger barbs, 5 tiger barbs and 2 pletcos. I also have a 10 gl tank with a few gold fishes and 1 Koi fish.

The problem i am having right now is that one of my Albino Tiger barbs is growing something around its eyes. It looks like its skin is trying to take over the eye area and is completely covering the eyes. The fish, is probably blind because the "skin" is covering both of the eyes. All the other fishes inside the same tank do not have the same symptoms so i don't know what is going on. I think the fish was stressed because it had the "pop eyed" looked before all that weird stuff started. Any help is really appreciated, thanks.

O yeah i posted this on the wrong section, sorry about that. Where's the delete button?

willow 10-19-2008 05:25 AM

hello and welcome.
ok ,well we need some more information please if you can. :)
what are the water test results. Amonia,nitrite,nitrate.
how long have the tanks been up and running.
how often do you clean the water ?
did you use those fish to cycle the tank ?

iamntbatman 10-20-2008 03:11 PM

Welcome to the forum! This is the correct section for emergencies and diseases in freshwater fish.

Do you have a photo of the fish in question? Can you post your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature)? Is the condition in both eyes, or only one?

A little off topic: what type of plecos do you have? Common plecostomus reach 18" in length and produce a ton of waste, so they really need to be in a bigger tank than yours. Clown or bristlenose plecos stay much smaller and would be a better fit for your aquarium. Also, goldfish grow quite large (comets can reach 12" or more, fancy varieties can break 8") and also produce lots of waste so will need a much bigger tank. Koi get absolutely huge (three feet or so) and eventually need something on the scale of 1000g. A pond is really a more appropriate home for them than a fish tank.

kritas 10-22-2008 08:00 AM

A few goldfish and 1 KOI!!! Are you kidding me?

In a ten gallon, I dont know how you figure that is ok? sorry if i'm offending you, but at the end of the day, a Koi and a few goldfish cannot live in a 10 gallon. A single goldfish can't be housed in a 10 gallon, let alone a Koi fish.
I advise you in rehoming your goldfish and Koi, as they would be quite cramped in a 10G.
I agree with Batman on the Pleco thing, and by the sound of it, it sounds like you have common pleco's, and not bristlenoses...
Could you please post a few pictures of the pleco's and your two tanks.
Also you'll need to give us your water paramters, and details like Batman and willow have mentioned earlier before we can assist you further.