Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose Pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-pleco-18653/)

aunt kymmie 10-16-2008 07:36 PM

Bristlenose Pleco

Bristlenose questions:

About a few weeks back I purchased a little albino bristlenose. He's as cute as can be and about 1 1/2" long. I selected a bristle for the sole reason that they don't destroy plants & that they stay relatively small as far as plecos go.

This morning I noticed that one of my swords has leaves with rows of little holes going all the way up, all the way down. This is the first damage I've seen in on any of my plants so I'm pretty sure only the pleco can be at "fault".

So, I'm thinking, did I not get a bristlenose? At 1 1/2" does a bristlenose already have bristles? This little guy has none and I was told that it takes awhile for them to grow. Maybe it's a common pleco that was sold to me which would explain him munching on the plants? He's got plenty of driftwood to munch on and he also eats the spinach I feed the ottos. I don't think it's the ottos eating the plants...

Anyone??

iam1ru12 10-16-2008 09:08 PM

Do you have a picture of your ABN? Are there snails in the tank?

aunt kymmie 10-16-2008 09:26 PM

Pics...the bane of my existment. I've been trying to take photos but my camera is sheeet. I'll be correcting that soon! I'll try to borrow one so I can get a shot. There are no snails in the tank.

iam1ru12 10-16-2008 09:49 PM

I have an ABN in a 50gal tank with angelfish, otos, corydoras, rummynose & pristella tetras. Haven't seen anyone of them eat the plants.

ABNs in particular are not known to eat plants although they may nibble on them every once in a while.

What other fish are in your tank?

aunt kymmie 10-16-2008 11:01 PM

I've got dennisoni, clown & yoyo loaches, ottos, bolivian rams & one pictus & the one ABN. The tank has been set up for months and up until now have not had any plant damage. If I post a pic you'll able to tell if it is indeed an ABN? He's so darn tiny, part of why I can never find him. I will get a pic though....

Amphitrite 10-17-2008 01:22 PM

Sounds like you could have a female albino bristlie there - females don't all develop bristles and mine never have.

With a photograph we'll be able to tell though :-)

aunt kymmie 10-17-2008 01:25 PM

I'm working on getting a pic. I almost had one this morning but he/she darted under some driftwood before I could get the shot. I'll keep trying....

aunt kymmie 10-23-2008 03:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the best I could do with the camera I had. It was sold to me as an albino bristlenose. Is there any way to confirm this? The little guy eats spinach like it's leaving the planet tomorrow. (How do I attach pictures so they aren't so darn big??)

Attachment 84

Attachment 85

Amphitrite 10-23-2008 03:10 PM

Yep, looks like a female bristlenose to me :-)

willow 10-23-2008 03:12 PM

little cutie :)
looks like one to me too. :)