Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Help with clown plecos (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/help-clown-plecos-18615/)

Roku327 10-14-2008 09:53 PM

Help with clown plecos

A couple weeks ago I purchased a dwarf Gourami and a Clown pleco from my Lfs and they appear to be doing alright but I have concerns, firstly the pleco has been very lethatgic scince I put him in the aquarium and I've been trying to get it to take algae tablits and there is alot of algae on the rocks that its been hiding under. I mostly just sits around and moves occasionally. It seems healthy and the water quality is ok, I do water changes once a week and keep live plants and they get about 12 hours of light each day. Any help would be very much appreciated.

1077 10-15-2008 05:54 AM

I keep two clown plecos and from the research I did on this fish Wood is a very important part of their diet. They are not an active fish during the day but i have seen them patrolling the tank of an evening . They will eat some algae but are more fond of leftover foods that they scavenge from the bottom of the tank. They also will eat algae wafers but other fish like these too so I try and drop one or two close to their hide outs after lights off of an evening. They also in my view should recieve some veggies such as sweet red bell pepper, zuchinni, cucumber, sweet potato, and romain lettuce. With the exception of lettuce you can place these in the microwave to soften them up and then wrap them on small rock with a rubberband so they sink. again best in my view to do this after lights out and remove the veggies the next morning so as not to foul the water. I seldom see my clown plecos during the day but with each weekly water change I find them hiding under this piece of wood or that rock. I hope some of this helps you.

Roku327 10-15-2008 07:53 AM

Thanks, I do keep a piece of driftwood In my tank and every time I put in the algea wafers the gourami eats them, what a pig lol

iamntbatman 10-15-2008 03:39 PM

"Lethargic" describes clown plecos pretty well. Mine has one spot on his driftwood that he never leaves during the daytime. He does decent work on the algae at night and loves his veggies, but he's not exactly the most active fish I own. You could try some LED moon lights for nighttime viewing when he's more active.

Roku327 10-15-2008 10:24 PM

thanks, I just introduced a silfin molly into the tank and It seems to be doing ok, but I'm concerned because it nipped my gourami a couple times and then the gourami turned around and chased him across the tank? will this behavior improve or might need to remove the new arrival?