Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Filtration Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filtration-questions-18584/)

winnydapoo 10-13-2008 06:01 PM

Filtration Questions

Hi All,

I'm an aquarium noob, I bought a 3 foot tank a few weeks back and I'm gradually doing all the research for what I need in it while I build the stand and hood.

Anyway I have basically settled on using the AquaOne CF700 cannister filter. I have two questions around this. First, will I need some additional aeration if I use a cannister filter, and second, I have read that if a cannister filter fails it can lead to the water from the tank draining out back through the lines, what do I need to do to protect against that?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered :)

kritas 10-13-2008 06:24 PM

First of all, you no doubt live in Australia, because Aquaone is an australian brand... This is probably the worst brand for any aquarium appliance available out there. IMHO, i would return that filter right now.
You will not be needing extra aeration for your tank, but it is always good to have it running, during the night is best, as that is when your plants will be sucking up the oxygen, and your fish need added aeration to flourish.
Canister filters are prone to fail, like any other filter out there, but the solution to that is buying a check-valve, preferably a non-metal check-valve. Just cut the line going from your tank to your filter, and connect them again with the check-valve... Quite simple really.

Hope that helps :)

winnydapoo 10-13-2008 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am in Australia. If AquaOne is so bad, what are good alternatives? I haven't bought the filter yet so I am open to suggestion.

kritas 10-13-2008 07:02 PM

Ok good, just so you know, Aquaone has a reputation, that I have heard of and experienced to break down about half a year after purchase.
My suggestion for a great filter, although significantly more pricey than the aquaone filter, is the Eheim series. In the long run, it will save you money from buying more filters...
Aquaone, after around half a year, slows its flow rate to about half of whatever it was back at purchase price, and no matter how much u clean it out and get rid of absolutely everything inside it, it will never run more than around 3/4 of the speed it used to

winnydapoo 10-13-2008 07:26 PM

Cool, I saw a bunch of different Eheim models at aquaria.com.au

I reckon my tanks is between 140 and 150 litres, Do you think the 2213 (440LpH) would suffice or should I go for something with at least as much flow as the 2215? (620LpH)

Also, do you have any opinion on the Hydor Prime range of cannister filters? I have heard a couple of local fish groups recommending them.

Cheers

Tyyrlym 10-14-2008 07:36 AM

A properly sealed canister filter is not a problem, if it fails the water will still be contained inside. The danger is a seal failing or a line breaking loose. If the seal fails there's really nothing you can do to mitigate the problem aside from having a spare o-ring or the like on hand to effect a quick repair. You could set the filter over a large pan or something so that if it does leak the leakage is contained and can be easily seen. If the return line fails you can protect yourself by installing a check valve just after the canister. A properly installed check valve will only allow water to flow back to the aquarium not back to the filter. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about the intake line. You want water to flow out of your aquarium in that case. You can install a check valve if you're really worried but it'll only make a difference if the intake is pulled out of the tank and laid below it and the pump is off at the same time.

winnydapoo 10-14-2008 06:51 PM

Great, thanks for all the help :)