Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   29g LEAK! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/29g-leak-18557/)

mkirby258 10-13-2008 12:48 AM

29g LEAK!

So tonight I got home, at just a little before 12:00 am, from playing an intense game of Ultimate frisbee. I was ready to take a shower and go to bed. I walk in the front door and switch on the light to notice a dreadful two toned, half water soaked drape covering the table my 29g planted community was on!
After the initial shock and "oh crap moment" I thanked God the tank had not given all the way out. I had to call a friend who I knew had a 20g tank empty and then drive over and get it. I went through all the steps, and now the fish are in the 20g tank on my floor, awaiting a later solution. The other water is in buckets. This is a lot of stress that I, and my fish definitely, dont need. Hopefully they make it through it.

Matt

Amphitrite 10-13-2008 01:00 AM

Ouch, sorry to hear that Matt. Did you transfer all the substrate and decorations etc from your old tank into the 20 gallon?

Tyyrlym 10-13-2008 08:29 AM

Well first off, throw the excess water into the yard, no point in keeping it.

Second, where is the leak at?

mkirby258 10-13-2008 09:10 AM

all of the plants and rocks are in the 20g. The substrate is still in the 29. I was too tired to do that last night. I am going to try and find another 29 on craig's list today for pretty cheap. otherwise the substrate is going in the 20g after class (I kept it wet). Should I still dump out all the water in my buckets even if I get it in a tank today?

Little-Fizz 10-13-2008 10:35 AM

I wouldn't worry about the extra water... But good call with keeping the substrate wet.

You got lucky, any ideas on why your tank sprung a leak? Was it on a proper stand? Make sure the same thing doesn't happen to your new tank!

mkirby258 10-13-2008 10:47 AM

well the tank wasn't in the best condition when I got it. It had a few chips in the corner, and the black plastic border was cracked also. I got it from my cousin who got it from someone else. She was using it as a reptile cage, and never had water in it. I did a test fill and it held water for a week, so I figured it would be alright. It was set up for about 3 weeks (before the leak last night) so I figured it would be fine. My guess was that the crack in plastic border let it bow a little in the bottom and allowed a separation of the seal. I am just really happy it wasnt worse. I only put about 10 dollars into this tank because I had all my equipment from a 20g long. Now I just need to look for another tank. Maybe this will be an excuse to get a bigger one :)

Little-Fizz 10-13-2008 10:58 AM

Lol for sure. Bigger is always better.

Oh my, I wouldn't have trusted it at all. If the frame is damaged the tank cannot hold water, no way!! But it could have been worse, lol 29 gallons is a lot of water to have seeping through your floor.