Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tank Ornaments?! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-ornaments-185/)

fishyfan 08-09-2006 10:26 PM

Tank Ornaments?!

I am new here! I am planning on changing over my 20 gallon hex tank which currently houses a male and female betta into a tropical community tank with platys, swordtails, a cory cat and maybe a few mollys. I have this huge ornament in the tank and I'm wondering if I should get something smaller? I'm going to try and attach a photo...Also do you think I should move the bettas to a smaller tank or would they be ok with the types of fish I am planning to add?
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/122_fishy_001_1.jpg

Lupin 08-09-2006 10:59 PM

Hi and welcome,
I wouldn't try decors like ship. Too unnatural. You can try live plants like elodeas and some rocks.
You can mix female bettas in the community but not the males. Males are easily victimized by fish who love nipping fins. It's ok to move your male betta there but just monitor your other fish if they nipped although I doubt your current fish will ever nip him.
Just exclude the cories from the monitor list. They won't bother the other fish anyway.

fishyfan 08-09-2006 11:22 PM

I got the ship free since our moray eel outgrew it and it's been unused for along time...I saw something that looked like tree roots, it was pretty tall. I also need to change the gravel, it has shells in it and I know they'll be hard to clean. I don't have anyother fish, but if I move my betta into the smaller tank when I get the others should I move the female with him because those two hang out together everywhere they go (odd I know) ...and they were in a 5 gallon before for a year. I've only had the tank set up 2 weeks, and the bettas have only been in it for one, I want to wait about 2 or 3 more weeks to let the bacteria build up. Is that long enough or should I wait longer? I added Top Fin Bacteria starter today. Also the filter I have is a marineland 150, do you think that is suitable? I want to do this right if I'm going to invest in fish!

Lupin 08-09-2006 11:29 PM

I'm not sure how you cycled your tank. You seem to cycled them with fish. This is in which case, it's time for you to buy a test kit. Just maintain zero ammonia and nitrites and 10-20 ppm of nitrates.
Then remove the shells. They can gradually increase pH although your fish will love it as you don't have any fish in there that can thrive in water with low pH anyway.
The decor is your decision of course but in my opinion, I'll aim with something more natural. Tree roots look natural already.

Good luck.

fishyfan 08-10-2006 09:15 PM

I tested my water today, there is no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites so I figure I'll stay wait another week or two before I add fish. Also, I still have to get a heater, can anyone recommend a brand that is known to be better than others? I also looked into gravel specifically for live plants, is this better to use than plain gravel if I'm going to try some plants? The store recommended trying anacharis...

Lupin 08-10-2006 10:36 PM

Hi fishyfan,
Just keep monitoring the results. If you keep receiving results of zero ammonia and nitrites, then your tank may have finished cycling. Pls ensure you have nitrates. Zero or below 10 ppm can result to the growth of Blue-Green Algae. It's not algae, but cyanobacteria. Removing it is done by blackout or manual(although the BGA will reappear agin in a few days). You can try adding potassium nitrates and ensure nitrate level is 10-20 ppm.
Do water changes when you receive high reading of ammonia and nitrites.

Good luck.