Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hard Decision!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hard-decision-184889/)

Molinious 05-22-2013 08:47 AM

Hard Decision!!!

Im trying to decide on a shoaling fish to go in with Congo Tetras and Bronze Corys, cannot be Rummynose Tetras or Neon Tetras. Also need to have a good coloration that is not similar to the other fish mentioned.
Would be in a shoal of up to 23
Thanks in advance

Sanguinefox 05-22-2013 12:38 PM

What size tank will they all be living in? Knowing the tank size helps with giving good advice.

Molinious 05-22-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 2119633)
What size tank will they all be living in? Knowing the tank size helps with giving good advice.

48 x 15 x 12 for 2 months moving to a 48 x 24 x 24
Posted via Mobile Device

LizbethDawn 05-23-2013 10:24 PM

I had a friend who had the red mosquito rasboras and they were very pretty. From what I read they aren't fin nippers either.

JDM 05-24-2013 06:17 AM

The Mosquitos are nice, I had them on my list until my water turned out to be too hard for them. They are probably too small though as the congos would likely enjoy them as a snack.

Jeff.

Molinious 05-24-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 2135161)
The Mosquitos are nice, I had them on my list until my water turned out to be too hard for them. They are probably too small though as the congos would likely enjoy them as a snack.

Jeff.

I'll agree with you Jeff, the congos i have have recently found a liking for my cherry red shrimp in the tank with them, they happily scoff down a full grown adult, when they can catch them that is! The mosquitos would defo be a snack for them.

I have searched thru the profiles here and still undecided on what

jaysee 05-24-2013 07:16 AM

Since the congos will occupy the top half of the tank, how about orange flame tetras for the bottom half?

Sent from Petguide.com App

JDM 05-24-2013 07:24 AM

My current favourite is the silvertip tetra

2", wide water parameter range, temperature range matches the congo I think and they are a different colour.

I'm currently waiting on those to show up at the LFS.

Jeff.

Molinious 05-24-2013 07:26 AM

Both suggestions are really good, iv looked at both and also Harlequin Rasboras

Byron 05-24-2013 10:35 AM

The Harlequin Rasbora would work (the Mosquito is too small as has been mentioned, I have these but not in with my congos;-)).

In my 90g I have 10 Congo (5 male/5 female) and a group of 8 Black Ruby Barb and this has worked out splendidly. Both are somewhat active, the Congo run their relay races until they tire out:-), but the BRB like all barbs are continually on the go (but not overly-so) and curious so they are everywhere. They have never even looked at the Congo fins...which is something you must watch for when deciding tankmates.

Some of the medium tetra would work.

Byron.