Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Python hose learning curve... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/python-hose-learning-curve-184577/)

Deanna01 05-21-2013 07:28 PM

Python hose learning curve...

I got a 50-foot Python hose for emptying and filling my aquarium, was using it for the 46g in our front room while hooked up to a bathroom sink...and utterly flooded the bathroom and our basement.

If you are using a Python from a sink in another room than your aquarium is, I highly suggest that your first time trying it be a two-person operation.

jaysee 05-21-2013 07:57 PM

I've done that a few times. If you remove the sink stopper, you won't have to worry about it overflowing.

4Charlie 05-21-2013 08:18 PM

You have to have a very free running drain or a sink, tub, or basin that can hold a couple of gallons of water. It's not hard to overflow a sink with a Python running full blast...:-)

Boredomb 05-22-2013 04:18 AM

About did that a couple of times in my kitchen sink!

I actually overflowed my betta tank once using my python cause I got distracted!

AbbeysDad 05-22-2013 07:24 AM

OOPS!

Sometime's 'stuff' just happens!

SeaHorse 05-22-2013 07:31 AM

Please don't get frustrated and hate it! LOL. We've all done it!
It is SO worth it once you get the hang of it and you won't go back to buckets after. I promise. And once the siphon is running/flow... you can shut off the tap and it will run slowly on gravity. Another good tip is tag your keys, "water changes" or "Python on" or something so you don't leave the house. Phone calls are another bad idea. I tend to roam around the house and end up outside when on the phone. lol.
Then there was the one about the member who liked to do water changes on her lunch break from work. She drove back to work for the rest of the day.... :shock:

twocents 05-24-2013 08:42 PM

one of my fears refilling my water barrel. I'm gonna forget that the water is running. go upstairs, outside..
not a good feeling to walk into a flooded room

Deanna01 05-25-2013 07:42 AM

Huh. Honestly, it didn't even occur to me that I could go do something else while waiting on the water change. I was just getting bored standing beside the tank when I saw my cat staring at something on the floor that I found out to be water. 0.o

So you can just stick the tube in there and go do something else? I was afraid I would suck up a fish!

jaysee 05-25-2013 08:27 AM

Yes, you can stick the tube in and do something else. It takes a long time to drain a 125, so I use a pump to pump out the water. A couple time I have forgotten about it and pumped out all but 2-3 inches of water - while not very happy about it, the fish were fine. A good solution for that would be to time how long it takes to drain to where you want it, and set an alarm for future water changes.

Funny though, I've only ever overfilled one tank, but I had done it a few times. Gotta make sure you are focused when multitasking :-)

And as I mentioned, removing the drain stopper will eliminate the threat of overflow at the sink.

As for sucking up fish - only my bichir has been dumb enough. Twice. Got stuck in the hose, but survived. Tough fish they are.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Deanna01 05-25-2013 08:35 AM

Oh, the timing is a fantastic idea! Thanks! I am so bad with getting overfocused on one task when I multitask....

I bought a universal adapter for the Python that arrived yesterday, so I may be able to use it from my shower head and not have to worry so much about overflow. Or I'll at least be able to use one central sink for all the tanks that are downstairs. :) (I have seriously too many tanks now, in too many places.)