Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Yet another question! Otto cats. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/yet-another-question-otto-cats-18407/)

SolaceTiger 10-06-2008 03:33 PM

Yet another question! Otto cats.

I recently just bought 2 otto cats for my 10 gallon, and I already made the mistake of introducing them right away to it. Does anyone have these? I have some omega one wafers for them, but they didn't seem to care to much yet.. I also read the veggies will work. I got some frozen peas for them, how do I prepare them and how many can I give? Thanks in advance!

qpc68 10-06-2008 04:04 PM

I'm not sure about the other parameters in the tank, if it's planted or not, etc. however I would suggest you keep the lights on to get some algae growing in there. I have never had any luck feeding any type of food, be it prepared or fresh, to oto's. I suppose if they were incredibly hungry mine might, but fortunately I've never had that problem

SolaceTiger 10-06-2008 04:06 PM

The lights are on about 12 hours a day. It takes weeks before there's any sort of growth. =/ It has 3 or 4 fake plants, plus a little cave and snake decoration thing.

aunt kymmie 10-06-2008 06:18 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing....not enough algae for my otos. I read somewhere on this forum to put some rocks in a dish and set it in the full sun and algae will grow on the rocks. Yesterday I put some rocks in a dish in the sun. I even added some Flourush Excel to hopefully jump start the algae. If it works it'll be a great solution. As soon as the otos clean a rock(s) you just put it back in the dish to start the algae process again. Like I said, I hope it works.

flight50 10-06-2008 06:27 PM

well at least you recognized your first mistake of introducing them right away. otos can be fragile. i hope your tank has been set up for several months with steady water parameters. otos do better in well live planted tanks. honestly, if you can't produce enough or even have enough algae in your tank, your better off not purchasing them. mine did eat algae wafers but if you have bottom feeders and you feed during the day, chances are the otos won't have any left. otos tend to be nocturnal. most aren't too active during the day.

mkirby258 10-06-2008 08:11 PM

Mine absolutely love spinach! I get fresh spinach leaves from the grocery store (mostly for my salads, but I will share). Every night I crush 1 leaf up with the handle of a knife (Just enough to expose the fleshy part, but keep it intact). I usually then put it on the bottom of the tank, partially under a shell to hold it down. Within 10 minutes all 5 of my ottos are on munchin away. by the morning, there isnt much left of the spinach. I am trying to get algae rocks going too.

aunt kymmie 10-06-2008 08:58 PM

Hummm....spinach. I have some on hand so I'll try this out tonight. No blanching, just crush with a knife? Couldn't be easier...hope they like it. Thanks for the tip!

jeaninel 10-06-2008 09:32 PM

I used to feed mine zucchini when I had them. I would put a slice in a cup of water and microwave for about 30 seconds just to slightly soften it. Then use a weight or veggie clip and suction cup it near the bottom of the tank. Don't leave any veggies in any longer than 24 hours or it will foul your water.

But they really do best eating algae. They did a great job on the diatom problem I had.

mkirby258 10-06-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel
Don't leave any veggies in any longer than 24 hours or it will foul your water.

what jeaninel said. Dont leave the vegetables in there over 24 hrs. I usually put mine in at night, then take them out in the morning. No blanching for the spinach, just the crushing. easy as pie! Let me know if they like it :)

SolaceTiger 10-06-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flight50
well at least you recognized your first mistake of introducing them right away. otos can be fragile. i hope your tank has been set up for several months with steady water parameters. otos do better in well live planted tanks. honestly, if you can't produce enough or even have enough algae in your tank, your better off not purchasing them. mine did eat algae wafers but if you have bottom feeders and you feed during the day, chances are the otos won't have any left. otos tend to be nocturnal. most aren't too active during the day.

Yea, live and learn huh. Their black stripe though looks good, and I think they'll be alright.. I had cleaned the tank the day before. I feed the fish in the morning and at night time, then it's lights out. And none of my fish like to eat from the bottom, in fact once the flakes sink past a certain point they won't touch it. i think alot of it gets wasted, what can ya do right. at least now it'll be good for the ottos? i did put half an algae wafer in there, and some mushed peas.. which i read are okay. i'm gonna try and buy some zucchini soon. and also, my tank has been set up for a long time, over a year so that's a plus. but next time when i go to the fish store, i will just browse and take notes of ones that catch my eye... then come home and do research before buying. :P thanks everyone!