Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   mail order fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mail-order-fish-18393/)

Aquarius Keeper 10-06-2008 12:00 AM

mail order fish

Since re-discovering my passion for aquarium keeping, I've visited over a dozen aquarium suppliers in the LA area. I've seen brackish puffers available in two locations - in one, they all were giant and emaciated, in the other they said they got brackish puffers only rarely and kept them in fresh water when they did, and couldn't predict when another might come.

I'm cycling a brackish tank for a baby figure 8 puffer, and at the end of the month, when the tank is cycled, I don't know where to find one!

I'm assuming the pet stores all get their fish by mail anyway, so maybe it would be best to remove the middle-man and mail-order my puffer from the source??

Do other folks get their rare fish this way? Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier?

Thanks,

Jonathan

onefish2fish 10-06-2008 12:56 AM

you know ive never mail ordered live stock, and i know stores do it but ive always been scared to have a shipment arrive all dead even tho all of these sites claim a 14 day guarentee or something similiar.

is it an option to ask a reputable LFS to place an order for you for their next shipment? that way if it dies in the trans action its their loss.

iamntbatman 10-06-2008 01:47 AM

Yeah, for just a single, inexpensive fish like that, getting the LFS to order it is probably the way to go. Liveaquaria.com has a very good reputation and a live arrival guarantee. You can also look on Aquabid. However, shipping would likely be many times the price of the fish, so I'd try the LFS route first.

KarlS 10-06-2008 02:43 AM

I've always been under the impression the the figure 8 puffer is a true freshwater fish. I researched it to make sure and it seems that it is indeed a fresh water fish that can tolerate brackish waters and in some cases it's said saltwater but I would imagine a shot lived existence if it was to be subjected to that kind of water. Can anyone else confirm FW or BW? I am still somewhat new to this and might be wrong so confirmation from some of the more knowledged members would be a good idea. But as far as the puffer goes they are awesome looking fish, and I would love to have one of my own soon.

cheers

Karl

iamntbatman 10-06-2008 02:49 AM

My research has indicated that while they *can* live in freshwater, these puffers usually fare best in low-end brackish water.

They definitely aren't high end brackish to full marine fish like their relatives, the green spotted puffer.

KarlS 10-06-2008 02:56 AM

ha-ha, confirmation of brackish water. Sry for the time waster. ;)

As for searching for a puffer have you tried craigslist??