Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   2 Mysterious Deaths this week (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/2-mysterious-deaths-week-18365/)

Exodus 10-05-2008 03:19 AM

2 Mysterious Deaths this week

This Week I have had two mysterious deaths. One of my Juvenile Panda Cories died, and Just 30 minutes ago I pulled out a dead opaline Gourami.

This is a 20 gallon tank, and I must admit that I do have it overstocked. When I pulled out the panda, and the gourami, I checked the water quality.

I didn't bother Checking the Ammonia, because I have the SeaChem Ammonia Tester that suction cups to the inside of your tank, and that was showing as yellow as you can get.

When I pulled the Panda Cory out, which was a day after a 25% waterchange, my Nitrate Read at 0, and my Nitrate read at approximately 5ppm if memory serves me correctly. I just checked water parameters again when I pulled the Opaline Gourami, Ammonia Showed Yellow on the strip (0ppm), Nitrite at 0ppm, and Nitrate @ 10ppm.

Now My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in both instances were at acceptable levels, and should not have killed my fish. I do not see any tell tale signs of sickness in my tank. With the Exception of the opaline, over the past few weeks I've noticed that his colors would fade, and then he would brighten up. But this was sporatidic and I just associated it with mood swings.

Does anyone have any idears what is going on with my tank? Is there anything else I should be checking Chemically in a 20 Gallon Freshwater Tank, besides Ammonia, Nitrtite, and Nitrate?

Exodus 10-05-2008 03:48 AM

P.S. My Water Temp is 80
and my PH is 8.0

willow 10-05-2008 04:01 AM

the temp is a couple of degrees higher than they are ment to be in,
ideal would be 75.2
however i can't see that killing him or the gourami.
have you added anymore fish ?
stirred up the gravel ?

Exodus 10-05-2008 11:56 AM

No, I haven't in both cases. The only fish that I added was a juvenile Panda Cory which is still alive.

And my Sand hasn't really been disturbed.

willow 10-05-2008 01:21 PM

hmm ok well hope fully some other members will pop in
to offer some help.
hang in there.

Little-Fizz 10-05-2008 07:34 PM

What is over stocked? What kind of fish and how many do you have? Any mean fish in your tank?

Exodus 10-06-2008 01:43 AM

OverStocked, is 2 Gold Gouramis, 2 PAradise Fish (a male and Female) who don't mess with anyone else. 4 Panda Cories, 1 Matae Cory, 2 Swordtails. and I think that covers it.

Oh and I am temporarily house a Clown Loach in this take to stop my Snail Infestation.

1077 10-06-2008 04:42 AM

are the tests you are performing for nitrites and nitrates performed with liqid drops and vials or with strips? test strips are very inaccurate. I would purshase a liqid test kit such as API freshwater master kit if you aren't using one. are you sifting the sand to prevent toxins from building up in areas that vaccum can't get to? are you vaccuming the sand to remove uneaten food ,plant material which may be decaying, or fish poo? what size and type of filter are you using? Is ph you posted from tapwater or from the tank? Try running some tapwater into a bucket and let it set for twelve hours and then test the ph. If it is too much different from the ph in the tank that could be part of your problem. Are you using Ph up or down products? these products only work temporarily and most times are not needed. are you using any chemicals other than dechlorinator that detoxifys ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If you can provide the answers to these questions it will be of some help.