Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Compatability. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/compatability-18358/)

kritas 10-04-2008 09:54 PM

Compatability.

Hey guys,

So as you've probably read in my previous post, I asked my neighbour if i could have his 55G, but either way, i'm buying another 55G off Ebay for around $35 US.
So I've been scrounging around on the forums, through the freshwater pic and video section, through the cichlid section, and the cyprinid section, and I've managed to pick a selection of fish that seem will do alright in a 55G but correct me if i'm wrong.

4 Kuhli Loaches
5 Botia Kubotai
3 Pictus Catfish
2 Blue Ram Cichlid

I want a shoaling fish, and I was going to go with the Dwarf Chain Loach, but obviously the base of my tank is being taken up now by the loaches and the catfish.

I considered Danio's and Tetra's, but for some reason, I want really stand-outish fish, something that you dont see often. So if anyone can think of anything, it would be a big help.

panamera 10-05-2008 02:12 AM

once again the catfish and the loaches will result in dead fish. buy one or the other. the rest are good. as for tetras but something not usualy seen.... considered serpae tetras? they definetly stand out and wouldnt be in every tank. good community fish.

kritas 10-05-2008 07:58 AM

I just had a look at some Serpae tetra's, and they look nice... But the long finned variety are absolutely stunning, I just need to pray that one of my 3 LFS shops have them!

As for the Loaches and the Catfish not being friendly towards one another, Im sorry to say that I completely disagree with you. Neither of those Species can fit inside each other's mouth, and there is more than enough ground space for them to share in a 4 foot tank.

Thanks for the Serpae's hehe :notworthy:

Tyyrlym 10-05-2008 10:03 AM

Ah, another serpae lover is born.

Just be sure that if you do get them get a school of 6+. Too few and they'll start nipping fins and get aggressive.

kritas 10-05-2008 10:50 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna get round 10-15, maybe 20 if the tanks bioload permits it

iamntbatman 10-06-2008 01:09 AM

I would agree about being careful about the kuhlis and pictus. I've seen pictus sucking down fat nightcrawlers that were chubbier than your average kuhli, and they'll definitely eat full grown guppies when they've gotten big enough.

kritas 10-06-2008 08:46 AM

The reason im calm with kuhli's and most other fish, is because I know how quickly kuhli's move, and how well they can hide themselves when in danger. So correct me if i'm wrong again, but I see no harm in adding the two together, pictus aren't that aggressive that they'll keep pursuing them till they have them... IMHO anywayz... :hmm:

aunt kymmie 10-06-2008 02:54 PM

I do agree with you on the pictus and their low aggression levels. My pictus is one VERY mellow guy. However, when he decides to move, he really moves. When he's hungry he can strike like lightning. It's as if he goes from zero to 60 in the blink of an eye. The upside is a kuhli can hide in spots a cat can't get to. If you keep your cat well fed you'll most likely be just fine. They are both such great fish no wonder you want both of them! Batman is right on tho...a full grown kuhli would fit nicely inside the mouth of a full grown pictus...

kritas 10-07-2008 04:17 AM

Yes, I have also seen Pictus move, and they are pretty speedy compared to the rest of their species. And they are such beautiful fish, I dont want to keep one and not the other, because a pictus MIGHT get abit peckish once in a blue moon, and go for my kuhli