Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What is happening to my aquatic grass? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-happening-my-aquatic-grass-183569/)

ticaaquariumlover 05-20-2013 12:15 PM

What is happening to my aquatic grass?

We bought it about three weeks ago. But i just noticed something growing on it. I logs like a white fuss or super tiny hears. Our tank is a 55 gallon and we have a dwarf African frog,a betta,a dwarf Gurami, a blue and gold Gurami, 4 rainbow fish, a neon tetra, 4 tetras, a rainbow shark, 2 clown loaches, a twig catfish and 3 more little catfish. I thought out could be useful to know what type of fish i have, just case those are eggs? I don't know what it is, this is my first time having live plants in my aquarium. thank you for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

ticaaquariumlover 05-20-2013 12:18 PM

I wish i could attach a picture but i don't know how
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 05-20-2013 01:51 PM

Hello and welcome!

Your phone's autocorrect made mincemeat out of your post :shock:

White and fuzzy is usually a fungus, but without pictures I can't say one way or the other. Also, do you know what this 'Aquatic Grass' was sold as? Like the name? I haven't heard of that before.

Plant issue aside, you have several issues with your fish selection. Mainly some incompatibilities, but also numbers.

Instead of repeating the information that already exists on the site I will instead point you to the Fish Profiles (links at the top of the page) and suggest you read up on each fish in your tank. You'll find lots of information, like how the tetras all need to be in schools of 6 or more of their own species (so as an example you need at least 5 more neon tetras). Some just won't work at all, like the clown loaches.

ticaaquariumlover 05-20-2013 03:13 PM

Hairgrass

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 126809
I am sorry about my post it really was a mess. The grass is called Hairgrass and the white fuss is just on one section of it. It has been very difficult to plant, we had to put some gravel on top so it would stay in place for the roots to get attached. . I hope you are able to see the picture. Thank you again

ticaaquariumlover 05-22-2013 03:27 PM

What is happening to my aquatic grass?

1 Attachment(s)
The grass is called Hairgrass. A week ago I noticed that a white fuss is growing on one section of it. It has been very difficult to plant, we had to put some gravel on top so it would stay in place for the roots to get attached. We bought it about six weeks ago. Does anybody know what it is? Thank you.

Attachment 128793

ao 05-22-2013 05:45 PM

I moved the other thread as it was a duplicate of your last post...
I would say this is some fungi growing on dying grass

or it COULD be flowers... I've never seen hair grass flower... so this is purely a guess. lol...

Geomancer 05-22-2013 06:47 PM

Stand by my original guess as some kind of fungus. Possibly from just food that got caught up in the grass.

I'd remove the affected portions unless it is the entire clump.

ticaaquariumlover 05-22-2013 10:28 PM

Thank you very much for your help, I'll take it out. So do you think this fungus could affect our fish health?

Geomancer 05-23-2013 09:28 AM

Fungus can be harmful, and sometimes it can be food... there really is no way of knowing. Removal is the safest course of action. I wouldn't use any anti-fungal medication unless you start seeing fuzzy growths on the fish themselves but I don't think that is likely to happen.

ticaaquariumlover 05-23-2013 11:04 AM

Posted via Mobile Device