Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Small tank ideas

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  kritas 
#1 ·
This is kind of last minute, I realize, but I'll ask anyway:

So I have a tank that's roughly a 5 gallon hex that currently houses one male and two female fancy guppies. I have a 10g tank set up that I'm going to be using to breed guppies in as feeders. Tomorrow morning I plan on heading to the good LFS that's a good drive to pick up some feeder guppies for the 10g. I'm gonna move the fancy guppies out of the hex and into temporary storage in another tank until the feeders have had some quarantine time, then my fancy guppies are going in with the feeders. This leaves the hex empty, so I'm going to be picking up something to go in it at the LFS tomorrow. Two tanks with one stone, right?

So...any ideas? I was originally just going to go for a betta. I've got guppies, I've got Endler's livebearers, I've got dwarf puffers...so what else can I get that'd be comfortable in a small tank? Would a single peacock gudgeon work?

#3 ·
Too late! The store didn't have any gudgeons this time, but they had some nice looking bettas. I was torn between this halfmoon female that was really pretty, but I opted for a crowntail male that was really hyper. I'll put some pictures up later, after he's done hiding.

#4 ·
No offense or anything batman, but if I was to get a hyper fish, i'd give him a big area to swim in. Putting him in a small tank will only douse his spirits. The betta was probably recently recieved by your LFS, explaining his hyperactive behaviour...

I don't know. But i'm over the association between betta's and small tanks.
Again, no offense... :BIGhmm:

#5 ·
Hmm well the filtered, heated, cycled tank he's in now is sure a heck of a lot nicer than the half-gallon, unheated, unfiltered, uncycled bowl he would likely get plopped into if I hadn't bought him. He seems to be enjoying his new tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.