Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Journey to an lfs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/journey-lfs-1831/)

Lupin 12-14-2006 03:11 AM

Journey to an lfs

Hi all.:wave:

I had a journey this afternoon to an lfs. I visited a shop which is about 20 km away from my home. I was surprised he has new stocks yet those fish are overpriced.:sarcastic:
Here's the list:
1. Albino rummy-nose tetra-110 pesos
~So expensive.:blueworry: The original strain alone is just 20 pesos so why is the man-made strain so expensive?:sob:

2. Doradid catfish(I'll try to identify this one if I can)-90 pesos
~Not bad of a price. It's barely 2 inches in size. Interesting fish but I'm not buying ithem without knowing the exact ID.:wink2: I wouldn't risk getting a catfish that grew to 12 inches instead.:blink:

3. Long-finned serpae tetra-80 pesos
~Ridiculously overpriced.:blink: The original variant is just 10 pesos so why does a long-finned serpae tetra have to be expensive?:sarcastic: Those vicious fin nippers have no use of their long fins anyway.:shake:

4. Black-banded Leporinus(Leporinus sexfasciatus)-900 pesos
~They grow quite large so it's not for me anyway. Poor Boesemann's Rainbows have their fins nipped by about 15 leporinus in a 30 gallons tank.:sob: Other tankmates are marbled headstanders and Botia morleti. Both are also quite vicious.

5. Siamese Tiger Fish
~20 cm in size here.:thumbsup: Costs 750 pesos. Big deal. I won't buy that fish without another tank.:wink2:

6. Marbled Headstander
~700 pesos. Nippy and vicious.

I just made a visit to buy Sera Florena, a liquid fertilizer for my lil' plants.:love:

As for tomorrow, I'll be meeting my friend and he'll give me lots of aquarium plants for free.:thumbsup:

Regards,
Blue

Lupin 12-14-2006 03:24 AM

I forgot to add that the first lfs I visited has four 'red severums'.:sarcastic: Interesting. The owner mentioned they are 'very rare'.:shock2: Diamond and red sevs are rarer than the original green and gold.:quiet:

I've never seen the diamond variants. The red sevs here measure about 15 cm.:)
Anyone can confirm the rarity of those sevs?:)

weaselnoze 12-14-2006 10:57 PM

what?!!? are you serious????....

....you use pesos in the phillipines??? :lol: :lol:

crazie.eddie 12-14-2006 11:21 PM

Yes. Not the same pesos as in Mexico.

joeshmoe 12-14-2006 11:39 PM

750pesos what the ?!?!?!?! i dont even no if high or low price

Tracy 12-15-2006 12:42 AM

Blue, how much is your peso compared to the US dollar? (I can then convert it to the CDN dollar) 8)

crazie.eddie 12-15-2006 01:12 AM

Go here...
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Look for Philippine Peso (PHP)

BTW, I'm from the Philippines, too, but live in the US.

bettababy 12-15-2006 01:58 AM

I may be able to help you to understand some of your questions. The higer cost for the tank raised fishes, as with clownfish in saltwater, is due to the larval state, and the expense of the process of tank raising them. Some species of fish are not as easy to tank raise, and the expense of doing it has to show up somewhere if we want them to be continued as tank raised. In many cases, it's less expensive to go out and catch them wild and ship them in.
As for the fish being chewed up by tankmates, this is simply a careless LFS. They either didn't know enough about any of the fish in the tank, or they ordered something they didn't have proper space to keep until it sold. Unfortunately, this is too common in LFS's, and unless people complain and refuse to buy the damaged fish, they have no reason to change the way they do things. Too many people want to "rescue the poor fish" that are being chewed apart, but this only lets the LFS know that the market for them is good regardless of their condition, so no reason to put more into it than needed for business reasons. It's cheaper for them to keep doing it this way.
Most customers have no idea how much influence they really carry in any store, or there would already be more changes made. For business to function properly, customers need to be happy and keep buying. In the case of the rainbows that was mentioned, think about this: If the store orders 20 rainbows for $2 each, put them into the tank of headstanders and others, and the fish are damaged.. people refuse to buy them and tell them that its because the fish are damaged, what is the store losing in those fish? There is food, time/maintenance where they pay an employee to care for them while they are in the store, and the $2 each that they paid for them. Let's say that 1/2 of those fish die in the store tank either due to damage or old age because they're too damaged to sell, how much money did that store just lose? Now, knowing that people were interested but didn't buy because of the damage, what are the chances that store will set up a better situation for those fish the next time they come in? If, when in better condition, those fish sell... what message does this send to the store? Humanity doesn't even have to play a part this way, and from a business standpoint, taking proper care of them pays better, this becomes a new store policy and everyone wins. Not so hard to fix, really, but customers need to say something instead of just walking away. We can complain all we want here on the boards, but does that fix the problems in the stores, where they are happening?
Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, but having worked with it for so long, I really think that awareness is the only way its ever going to really change. I feel obligated to enlighten customers to the amount of control they really have in the fish industry. I figure if not me, then who will?

Bristle nose 12-15-2006 03:00 AM

Albino rummy-nose tetra are probably more expensive than the original strain because they are not as common!

Daz 12-15-2006 06:44 AM

Red sevs are becoming quite common in the uk.