Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Please help! Cycling 30g - Parameters are safe, fish dying! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/please-help-cycling-30g-parameters-safe-18288/)

occram 10-01-2008 06:26 PM

Please help! Cycling 30g - Parameters are safe, fish dying!

Hello,

I'm very new to this but I think I've finally got an understanding of all this stuff. I'm still in the first stage of my tank (which took awhile because I kept switching out parts I didn't like. Like loud air pumps and filters that didn't work.)

With that said, I think I've finally got the equipment I think is good and I'm starting to build a beneficial bacteria in my new filter. I'm doing it with fish and I'm doing about 25% to 50% water changes as needed every day or two as needed. My fish are still dying!

I'm keeping Ammonia and Nitrite between 0 and 0.25ppm and Nitrates between 0.25 and 0.50ppm.

I have WELL WATER, is there anything else that could be killing my fish off? Should I keep my hands out of the tank? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...
Mark~

Flashygrrl 10-01-2008 06:33 PM

Have you run a test on your nitrates? pH?

occram 10-01-2008 06:35 PM

Yeah, the Nitrates are between 0.25 and 0.50 and the PH is around 7.0 at all times.

Kim 10-01-2008 08:42 PM

What kind of fish are you using? Some can tolerate a cycle and others just can't. What decorations are in the tank, nothing toxic? When you change the water what are you doing? Where did you get these fish, did you get them all together, did they look healthy when you got them? Any signs of disease before they die?

Wow, you lucky person with a pH of 7.0 :lol: .

occram 10-01-2008 08:53 PM

The water from my tap is around 6.0 but all I do is add a teaspoon for every 5 gallons I replace of PH+ and that tends to keep it around 7.0 or so... We have some plastic plants because I'm not quite ready for real plants yet. I rinse everything before it goes into the aquarium.

1077 10-02-2008 04:29 AM

IMHO the PH fluctuation is what is killing your fish.If your ph is 6.0 from the tap and then you are adding ph up at each water change raising it to 7.0 then the sudden shift is stressing the fish. Try running five gal of water from your source and wait twelve hours.Then test the ph of that water if it is still 6.0 then I would not add anything to the water to raise the PH unless you are keeping african cichlids.Most other fish will adapt to your water. Also be sure the new water is close to same temp as water in the tank. Sudden temp. changes can affect fish as well.WEEKLY water changes of 15 to 20 percent are important for the longterm health of your fish.A good dechlorinator is also important as most of them will help detoxify any heavy metals that may be present in your source water. hope some of this helps.

Little-Fizz 10-02-2008 05:58 AM

Are you using those dip sticks? Thats another thing to consider, if you use strips instead of a liquid test it would tell you that the ammonia is at a tolerable level but really its through the roof.

Or your fish maybe didn't come from the best fish store and they were already weakened but the cycle is just enough to push them over the edge.

Theres not really to much you can do, its just the risk that comes with a fish cycle.

I agree with 1077, it can be pretty stressful of the fish to have a changing pH, your best bet is to just keep it at 6.0.

occram 10-02-2008 01:11 PM

I hate to sound like one of those guys who has all the answers and no results, but I treat the water before I put fresh water into the tank. The temperature is always stabilized (as best as I can tell with my hand) and PH is adjusted before it enters the tank, along with some StressCoat+ and some aquarium salt of the proper proportions.

Also, I was told early on that I shouldn't use the dip sticks, so I didn't even buy them. I use the big API liquid test kit.

iamntbatman 10-02-2008 01:17 PM

What sort of fish have been dying? Where do you buy them?