Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Now a Molly! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/now-molly-18273/)

brittanyb157 10-01-2008 11:05 AM

Now a Molly!

So I just posted about having the problem with my female guppy, acting lethargic, swimming up near the surface in the corner...not acting right. She ended up dieing and now I think that the same thing is happening to one of my Lyretail Dalmation Molly. I currently have two. Everything appeared fine to me this morning but I looked into the tank just a few moments ago to see one of the mollys plastered against the filter. So I tapped the end of the tube and she swam away. But now she's near the corner (same one as the guppy had been in) and is acting tired, while the other is perfectly fine.

Did I mess something up? Should I have gotten more Molly? What's wrong?

Little-Fizz 10-01-2008 02:00 PM

What type of test kit are you using? Is it possible to get one for nitrates? Thats a pretty important one. Did you cycle your tank?

brittanyb157 10-02-2008 08:02 AM

Yes, my tank is completely cycled. I will go to the store and look for one.

She died this morning...I found her suctioned to the filter. Again, the rest of the fish are fine. o.O I did see her getting chased by the other Molly yesterday. Once I got her off of the filter yesterday she seemed fine & better...but not this morning.

Would nitrates be doing it? If they are too high? Or could it be exhaustion?

There's a pretty decent current in my tank...I have a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum h.o.b. 250 gallons per hour.

1077 10-02-2008 08:28 AM

I would think a hot magnum in a thirty gal. tank would plaster the fish to the glass. :blink:

brittanyb157 10-02-2008 08:30 AM

^ really? o.O
I bought the tank used and just used the filter that came with it...which was the magnum. Any suggestions for a new one?

1077 10-02-2008 09:30 AM

I like the Emperor 280 or penguin 200 both made by MARINELAND. I tried the hot magnum on 75 gal. with some keyhole cichlids and it was just too much current. I now just turn it on to clear the water quickly after weekly water changes and maint on my tanks. :)

brittanyb157 10-02-2008 10:14 AM

geez...okay. thanks so much for the advice. I'll be going to the store to look for those today. In the mean time I think I'm going to just leave the filter off.

iamntbatman 10-02-2008 01:06 PM

I think you can modify that filter to make it a bit easier on the fish. You can put some pantyhose over the filter intake, which will strain out more particles as well as reduce flow into the filter. What kind of output does the filter have? If it's just one of those regular directional outputs, you can face it against the glass wall of the tank to spread the current out. I've seen those HOT Magnums with biowheels before; if you've got one of those, you can just try keeping your water level higher. This way, water falling out of the biowheel part isn't accelerated through the air by gravity and it will prevent it from creating such a strong current in the tank.

In my opinion, that's a great filter you have there, and I think it's just fine on a tank of your size. There's nothing wrong with overfiltering the tank, as long as your fish can swim just fine. Heck, I've got a 29g tank with a Skilter 250 power filter (250 gph) and a Fluval 204 canister running on it.

brittanyb157 10-02-2008 03:28 PM

Yes, I can adjust the output. I tried aiming it a few different ways, but I think even still it was a pretty big current. I may try the panthose thing, but now I am paranoid about losing any more fish. I have nothing against the filter, it worked amazing for my tank! it must have just been too much for the fish? They used to fly across the tank every now and then when they hit the current the wrong way.