Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Got my new pair of Honduran Red Points - AND EGGS! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/got-my-new-pair-honduran-red-1827/)

saganco 12-13-2006 06:21 PM

Got my new pair of Honduran Red Points - AND EGGS!

Now I need to learn a little more about the eggs - she laid them last night, and had some on some small rocks and the rest on the glass wall of the tank. But just a little while ago I looked and the ones on the wall are gone! Do you think she ate them? The other eggs are still there there, so maybe they just fell off the wall for some reason and landed in the small rocks below. She's very serious about guarding them, she and hubby are the only occupants in the tank at this time, but she won't even let him come visit her. Anyway, the eggs are pretty much clear looking, is that good or bad? They are a proven pair and have had several broods before I got them (the guy I got them from has had them for a while, but not a real long time). She's about 2" and he's about 2.5". What do I need to learn here about eggs and hatching, and so on??
Cichlid ignorant, but will get better!

Lupin 12-13-2006 06:26 PM

Re: Got my new pair of Honduran Red Points - AND EGGS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saganco
Anyway, the eggs are pretty much clear looking, is that good or bad?

Usually white eggs mean infertile. Yours are probably fine depending on the species.:)
Quote:

She's about 2" and he's about 2.5". What do I need to learn here about eggs and hatching, and so on??
Cichlid ignorant, but will get better!
Lol..Let them guard their eggs and territory. Cichlids are excellent at parenting although there are species which are exceptions for excellent parent care. When the fry become free-swimming, try to get a hard-boiled egg, scrape the yolk and suspend it in a small jar of water. Then get a medicine dropper and retrieve some water with yolk in it and squirt it to the shoal of fry.
Be careful not to feed much or you'll pollute the water fast.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

saganco 12-14-2006 03:18 PM

So Blue, I don't actually mix the egg yolk and water, just take the whole yolk and delicately hang it (maybe a mesh bag like oranges come in?) in a glass or jar of water, and take "yolk flavored water" and squirt onto the fry? My tank is 24" high, so getting the yolk water down to the fry in the right place would be hard to do, will it sink straight down pretty good or go floating off somewhere else in the tall tank? And if it did, would the fry follow it? Is this better than FirstBites or frozen baby brine shrimp or prepackaged liquid fry food?

Lupin 12-14-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

So Blue, I don't actually mix the egg yolk and water, just take the whole yolk and delicately hang it (maybe a mesh bag like oranges come in?) in a glass or jar of water, and take "yolk flavored water" and squirt onto the fry?

No. I mean just scrape a bit of the egg yolk and place the bit in a jar of water(not really full; one-fourth of a small jar is fine). You actually mix the egg yolk and water. After that, get a medicine dropper and get a portion and squirt it to a shoal of fry.
Quote:

Is this better than FirstBites or frozen baby brine shrimp or prepackaged liquid fry food?
They're still the same.:) The one I suggested is easier to obtain although you'll have to eat the rest of the egg yolk rather than leave it to spoil.:mrgreen:

saganco 12-15-2006 03:53 PM

Blue, thanks for the "cheap fry food" recipe - eating the egg is no problem, there's two others here in the house that love eggs.

Do you think that the male is lonely or bored? She stays in her corner by herself with the eggs and won't let him anywhere near (treats him like a predator), and they are the only occupants in the 65g tank. He just seems lonely and/or bored!

I have no cleaning crew yet, but need to get one quickly because I noticed that the output and intake of the filter are getting slimey feeling. What recommendations for the HRP's that are not plecos do a good job of cleaning up uneaten food and/or algae?

Would another pair of central or south american cichlids be a good choice in tankmates? I would think there's enough room for two pair, the tank is kinda divided in half with rock structures, caves, and tunnels. Need someone of like personality I would assume. Any suggestions there??

Lupin 12-15-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Do you think that the male is lonely or bored? She stays in her corner by herself with the eggs and won't let him anywhere near (treats him like a predator), and they are the only occupants in the 65g tank. He just seems lonely and/or bored!

That behavior is also possessed by apistos. Males won't be bored if you can at least add some tetras for dither fish.:)
Quote:

I have no cleaning crew yet, but need to get one quickly because I noticed that the output and intake of the filter are getting slimey feeling. What recommendations for the HRP's that are not plecos do a good job of cleaning up uneaten food and/or algae?
I wouldn't really go easy on buying plecs. Plecs like BN get territorial and may harassed even cichlids from their territory. If your tank has lots of decors, otos will really do a nice job. I have a female BN and she is a problem to my discus and angelfish.:shake:
Quote:

Would another pair of central or south american cichlids be a good choice in tankmates? I would think there's enough room for two pair, the tank is kinda divided in half with rock structures, caves, and tunnels. Need someone of like personality I would assume. Any suggestions there??
I haven't known other Central American that might be peaceful. Bolivian rams may do. They aren't that belligerent but occassionally flare up against their opponents. Provide them with lots of plants. Bolivians seem to rarely use caves. At least in my experience.

saganco 12-15-2006 11:57 PM

:doh!: I completely forgot that I had this question here and added it (more or less) to another post - please forgive me!!

May as well address it here again anyway. Instead of tetras for my lonely dad, how about my two rainbowfish? Will they be ok, and will mom, dad, and "almost hatched" be ok?

You mentioned otos for the cleaning crew, but if I go with some kind of catfish, I would rather have a couple that would be of value to my LFS if I could get them to breed. Something not so common (not that otos are a bad thing, just a little to "available" at the stores!). Other options??

Lupin 12-16-2006 03:38 AM

Quote:

:doh!: I completely forgot that I had this question here and added it (more or less) to another post - please forgive me!!

:bluelaugh: Glad you have the sense of humor.:mrgreen:
Quote:

May as well address it here again anyway. Instead of tetras for my lonely dad, how about my two rainbowfish? Will they be ok, and will mom, dad, and "almost hatched" be ok?
They should be ok.
Quote:

You mentioned otos for the cleaning crew, but if I go with some kind of catfish, I would rather have a couple that would be of value to my LFS if I could get them to breed. Something not so common (not that otos are a bad thing, just a little to "available" at the stores!). Other options??
Otos are catfish and better than bristlenose when it comes to eating algae. I wouldn't say they are "cleaners". No fish will eat detritus. Some shrimps however are known to eat detritus particularly the ghost shrimps. If not otos, go with ancistrus(bristlenose). Quite hardy and easy to breed. Otos are a little delicate though they are excellent at consuming algae. Make sure you feed your BNs with veggies or they'll mow your plants.:blink:

saganco 12-18-2006 11:29 PM

I really love the true siamese algae eaters - used to have some but they died :( I would prefer to use them with the HRP's if this combination is ok. Also, since she has wigglers right now, when and how many siamese algae eaters should I put in the 65g with a 36x18 footprint (assuming they are ok together)?

Off topic: Also, can anyone tell me which snail would be best in a community livebearer tank that has a "carpet like bottom" (baby tears)? I'm looking at either rams horn or malasian trumpets. Also how many per gallon or whatever way you figure out how many to use??

Lupin 12-18-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

I really love the true siamese algae eaters - used to have some but they died :( I would prefer to use them with the HRP's if this combination is ok. Also, since she has wigglers right now, when and how many siamese algae eaters should I put in the 65g with a 36x18 footprint (assuming they are ok together)?

2 is preferred. Too many leads to frequent fights. If you place the SAEs in the tank while the female cichlid is doing her job, the female cichlid will end up stress in her attempts to keep the SAEs away from her territory.
Quote:

Off topic: Also, can anyone tell me which snail would be best in a community livebearer tank that has a "carpet like bottom" (baby tears)? I'm looking at either rams horn or malasian trumpets. Also how many per gallon or whatever way you figure out how many to use??
Still MTS for me. You can remove the snails anytime you like to control the population. There's no way you can figure out how many snails are needed in an X gallon size of tank. They just reproduce quickly which is why it's best to control their population regularly.