Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Led Reef Lighting Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/led-reef-lighting-help-182586/)

killavixen 05-19-2013 11:20 AM

Led Reef Lighting Help

So im trying to find a good led light for my 15 gallon reef. Dimensions are 20" wide 10" depth. Some lights i'm looking at are as follows:Im relly leaning towards the Wave point, i like the blue effect

wake49 05-19-2013 08:24 PM

You want an LED that says "Reef" or has a light color of 10000k and some actinic. I have the following light:

It can be a little "spotlighty" if used over an open top. I have a lid, so the plexiglass diffuses it enough to stop this effect.

I know Marineland (the one you posted as a "doublebright") has a "Reef-capable" version:

I have never seen it up close. I have read a lot of good reviews on it, but I have heard one person bad-mouth it.

I am ok with the Green-Element EVO I run. It lights up the tank, doesn't run too hot and hasn't given me any problems. I just wish that the actinics and daytimes were on two different switches. Other than that, I like it.

There are a ton of manufacturers of LED lights out there, at a ton of different prices. I have seen fixtures that cost up to $800 per foot! These fixtures can also be programmed to simulate storms and have dawn/dusk settings. It is probably a bit overkill, but someone with money to burn might like that...
Posted via Mobile Device

killavixen 05-19-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 2097258)
You want an LED that says "Reef" or has a light color of 10000k and some actinic. I have the following light:

Green Element EVO 18"-22" LED Aquarium Light Fixture - Plant 10x3W:Amazon:Pet Supplies

It can be a little "spotlighty" if used over an open top. I have a lid, so the plexiglass diffuses it enough to stop this effect.

I know Marineland (the one you posted as a "doublebright") has a "Reef-capable" version:

Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System w/ TIMER 18-24":Amazon:Pet Supplies

I have never seen it up close. I have read a lot of good reviews on it, but I have heard one person bad-mouth it.

I am ok with the Green-Element EVO I run. It lights up the tank, doesn't run too hot and hasn't given me any problems. I just wish that the actinics and daytimes were on two different switches. Other than that, I like it.

There are a ton of manufacturers of LED lights out there, at a ton of different prices. I have seen fixtures that cost up to $800 per foot! These fixtures can also be programmed to simulate storms and have dawn/dusk settings. It is probably a bit overkill, but someone with money to burn might like that...
Posted via Mobile Device

for the price of the EVO, i'll spend the lil extra and get 36W PAR38 LED 20K FULL SPECTRUM DIMMABLE REEF LIGHT,36w PAR38 LED 20k Full Spectrum Dimmable Reef Light

wake49 05-19-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killavixen (Post 2097746)
for the price of the EVO, i'll spend the lil extra and get 36W PAR38 LED 20K FULL SPECTRUM DIMMABLE REEF LIGHT,36w PAR38 LED 20k Full Spectrum Dimmable Reef Light

Looks good to me. I hope you put pics up of your tank under that light when it comes in! :-D

Reefing Madness 05-19-2013 10:42 PM

Yup, and I'll keep bad mouthing the Marine Land Reef capable unit. It stinks and should not be used on a Reef tank. Period. the LEDs are junk and don't have enough light but for a planted FW tank. Tanks should be run with more penetrating BLUE LED light and not so much white.