Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking advice? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-advice-182170/)

Vpaw 05-18-2013 09:05 PM

Stocking advice?

So now one of my tanks has been emptied 12 fish. I gave away most my guppies, they were great but I think I've had enough :)
Currently:
3 Cory catfish
2 male guppies
2 lyretail
1 Otto
1 mystery snail
1 unknown fish that I've had forever XD
3 glofish
2 African dwarf frogs (female)

It sounds like a lot, but there aren't very many swimming species, they're mostly bottom feeders! So I was wondering if anyone knew of like just a few fish I could add to make it more exotic. I've had fish for about 7 years and I just want something cooler... I guess it's too small for angel fish :( what about gourami? Any other idea?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jaysee 05-19-2013 12:27 AM

How big is the tank?

Vpaw 05-19-2013 09:27 AM

Oh whoops, I forgot to say that.. It's a 20 gallon and has living plants in it.

Vpaw 05-20-2013 10:37 PM

Ok, well I got a dalmation Molly and a red something fish... Another live bearer but only one of each so there shouldn't be any babies :) still want a gourami but I'm not sure if it will be friendly..

jaysee 05-20-2013 10:44 PM

Guppies and mollies can breed together, as can platys and swordtails.

Vpaw 05-20-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2107457)
Guppies and mollies can breed together, as can platys and swordtails.

Ya, I've heard of this, all mine are makes so there shouldn't be any problems.

Vpaw 05-20-2013 10:54 PM

And I think the red one is a platy actually.

Byron 05-24-2013 10:02 AM

I would say you are at the limit, especially since we don't know what two of the fish even are. The molly can get largish, check the profile.

As for the gourami, I would not, even aside from the above. Again, the species is not given, but all are sedate and do not appreciate active fish (glofish, perhaps the "unknowns" too).

Byron.

Vpaw 05-24-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2136833)
I would say you are at the limit, especially since we don't know what two of the fish even are. The molly can get largish, check the profile.

As for the gourami, I would not, even aside from the above. Again, the species is not given, but all are sedate and do not appreciate active fish (glofish, perhaps the "unknowns" too).

Byron.

Ones a platy and the other is a rasbora heteromorpha danio:)

Byron 05-24-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vpaw (Post 2136857)
Ones a platy and the other is a rasbora heteromorpha danio:)

The rasbora is a sholaing fish, which means it must have a group. I would get another 5 or 6. I know this is further pushing the tank limits, but if you are going to have shoaling fish they must have a group, and with plants and regular weekly partial water changes they will still be healthier.

Byron.