Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   goldfish rescue/care! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/goldfish-rescue-care-18205/)

Aquarius Keeper 09-29-2008 12:37 AM

goldfish rescue/care!

I saw a goldfish in the old gross family pond that hadn't been maintained in over two decades, and thought, oh wow, this pond can support life! So I started fixing it up - I started digging out the muck and all these little foul smelling bubbles came up and the whole thing started smelling like a sewer - I figured I'd just released a lot of toxic gas from the deep, scummy substrate, and now everything in the pond was going to die from ammonia poisoning.

So I decided to find and rescue that solitary goldfish (he/she's a feeder my mother put in last year (with a dozen others) to keep the mosquito population down - so a comet, right?) about 3" long - he/she was pretty enthusiastic about being captured. I have him/her slowly acclimating in a 26 gallon dechlorinated rubber maid tub.

I want to take as good care of this fish as possible while I fix up his/her pond, but I know nothing about goldfish care. What are the immediate steps I can take to ensure his/her comfort (I don't even have any fish food)?

Thanks!

Jonathan

onefish2fish 09-29-2008 01:25 AM

seems like your doing plenty. its amazing the conditions goldfish can live in, but in clean fresh unchlorinated water that you've provided- it should just do great while your working on the pond. they will eat flakes and pellets.. but if its pellets your best bet is to pre-soak them so your fish doesnt eat them and they absorb water and bloat their stomach. be careful- goldfish will eat themselves to death- literally. if its possible to throw a bubler or filter on the tub you'd it'd only help but probly isnt even nesassary.. just more motivation to get that pond finished :)

Aquarius Keeper 09-29-2008 01:29 AM

hey thanks! I found an old filter in the garage - I don't know if it's actually going to filter anything, but at least it's aerating the water. I think if the fish makes it to morning, it'll be okay...

onefish2fish 09-29-2008 01:37 AM

yea it will be good just to help circulate the water.

filter pads are really whats benifitial- just for a good surface to house benificial bacterias...

but i think your goldfish should be just fine.

Aquarius Keeper 09-29-2008 02:08 AM

There were two of them!

onefish2fish 09-29-2008 02:13 AM

then your halfway there

Aquarius Keeper 09-29-2008 02:39 AM

well, now I'm thinking - I've got two fish in an unicycled 26g tub, and I've heard goldfish are prodigious waste producers, aren't they?

Do you think I'll need to do daily water changes?

Flashygrrl 09-29-2008 05:41 AM

Wel...you could get another 26 gallon tub or change the water every other day. More motivation to get the pond fixed up :)