Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What type of fish can I keep in a 3gallon tank aside from a Betta? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-type-fish-can-i-keep-181906/)

Goldie2nd 05-18-2013 02:43 PM

What type of fish can I keep in a 3gallon tank aside from a Betta?

Hello everyone I have a 3 gallon tank and I would like to fill it with other fish aside from a betta fish do any of you have any suggestions for this? I was thinking about 4 male fancy guppies would this be ok?

fish keeper 2013 05-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldie2nd (Post 2085450)
Hello everyone I have a 3 gallon tank and I would like to fill it with other fish aside from a betta fish do any of you have any suggestions for this? I was thinking about 4 male fancy guppies would this be ok?

No, guppies may be small but they are also very active, they need space. Also, 4 fish in 3 gallons of water is never a good idea however you look at it.

For fish you are extremely limited with a 3 gallon, maybe someone else can think of one but the only fish I know can live in a 3 gallon are bettas.

Have you considered plant only tank? Another item for consideration is snails and shrimp, there are plenty that can live in that size tank.

Goldie2nd 05-18-2013 05:21 PM

Well how about three or two male guppies instead I have enough bettas I want something different.

rexpepper651 05-18-2013 05:27 PM

get a larger tank. then you can have a bunch of different.

jentralala 05-18-2013 05:27 PM

It wouldn't be fair to put any fish in that tank, no matter how small. Guppies are much more active than bettas, they like/need quite a bit of space to swim. Honestly I think a ten gallon is the smallest size you could get away with for guppies.

The only option I see is a shrimp tank. There are lots of different colors and varieties of shrimp.

Goldie2nd 05-18-2013 05:38 PM

Oh well alright I'll keep a betta thanks.

JDM 05-19-2013 11:14 AM

If it were me, I'd go with shrimp and plants and a few snails... or the betta like you may be doing anyway.

Jeff.

jimmadsen 05-19-2013 05:14 PM

Surprised no one brought this up, but the male guppies in small groups will go after each other to show their supremacy. The rule of thumb I recall is 1 male to 2 females or at least 5 males if no females.

djembekah 05-19-2013 07:30 PM

i'm definitely on the invert boat. shrimp are gorgeous and funny and look great with a bunch of plants. :)

Geomancer 05-20-2013 08:42 AM

I wouldn't even put a Betta in a 3 gallon personally.

There is a huge difference between having healthy fish, and just keeping them alive. Yes, you can get a Betta alive in a 3 gallon. You might even be able to get them to live their full lifespan of 5+ years if you are very diligent about water changes.

But it won't be happy.

As an analogy, you can keep a human being alive in a closet for decades. Just provide food, clean the chamber pot, throw some antibiotics at them when sick. They'll live, but have an extremely poor quality of life.

Fish need room to swim around to be happy, and thus healthy.

So what to do with a 3 gallon? As others have said, inverts like shrimp and/or snails. No fish.