Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   guppy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-1819/)

Melissa 12-13-2006 07:12 AM

guppy

Just a question but how long it the gestation period on a guppy?

Lupin 12-13-2006 07:21 AM

Re: guppy

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcwife
Just a question but how long it the gestation period on a guppy?

Temperature often plays a key role in the period of gestation. I have observed before that the higher the temp, the earlier the fish tend to drop their fry. The disadvantage though is that there is a tendency to have a high percentage of the fry stillborn.
28 days is normally the gestation period.

Another thing is their environment. If your tank has too many fish, the gravid fish will become stressed and may eventually dropped stillborn fry. It's best to provide your main tank with thickets of plants for the female to rest while dropping fry.

Separating fry is not highly recommended. Guppies reproduce too fast and you may not be able to accommodate all fry.

On the side note, guppies tend to inbreed so it's best to separate the sexes as soon as you can distinguish their sexes. Siblings should not be mixed or you'll run the risk of producing a high percentage of deformed fry or low-quality guppies.

Melissa 12-13-2006 07:41 AM

ok well we only have a female....a green cobra i think. we did have one of each but the other died. well it looked like she had babies, then she was small now she looks like she is getting big again so i wanted to know. But i havent seen any babies in the water.

Lupin 12-13-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcwife
ok well we only have a female....a green cobra i think. we did have one of each but the other died. well it looked like she had babies, then she was small now she looks like she is getting big again so i wanted to know. But i havent seen any babies in the water.

I forgot to add that all livebearers will breed continuously without the presence of males for months. Put the female livebearer in a tank with males and you'll expect batches of fry in a few months. They are easily preyed on by other fish but with thickets of plants, only the strongest will obviously survive.
It is not surprising either that you have a female that becomes gravid in a few days after you bought it. Exposure from males will almost always guarantee the females to reproduce.

Melissa 12-13-2006 10:24 AM

Well i will be sure to keep a keen eye on the tank and probably get some more smaller plants.

crazie.eddie 12-13-2006 12:33 PM

If you don't have a pre-filter sponge or netting over your filter intake, I would check inside your filter for any fry that got sucked up.