Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Ironite Plus as an acceptable substitute for Oscomote Plus? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/ironite-plus-acceptable-substitute-oscomote-plus-181818/)

jennesque 05-18-2013 11:58 AM

Ironite Plus as an acceptable substitute for Oscomote Plus?

I see all the time people are putting Oscomote Plus in their substrate as a sort of slow release root tab.. I looked a few places and I couldn't find Oscomote Plus, only the regular kind, and I know the 'Plus' variety because it does include both some micros and macros. I know Oscomote Plus is supposed to be safe, except possibly deadly to shrimp but I just have one amano shrimp, and although I don't want him to die, I am willing to sacrifice the one for healthy sword plants.

Here's a PDF I found with Oscomote Plus's analysis: http://www.alliedbotanical.com/pdf/Osmocote15912.pdf
It is on the second page.. I'd copy and paste if I could.

And then here's Ironite Plus for comparison:

Total Nitrogen 12% (Ammoniacal Nitrogen)
Available Phosphate 10%
Soluble Potash 10%
Sulfur 9%
Boron .02%
Total Iron 2%
Total Manganese .10% (Water soluble Man .03%)
Molybdenum .0005%
Total Zinc .10% (water soluble Zn .02%)

It says derived from Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Phosphate, Muriate of Potash, Sodium Nitrate, Iron Sucrate, Iron Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide

Was planning on popping some in some ice cube trays, freezing them with tank water, and sticking them in the substrate below my swords I've got coming in the mail.

jennesque 05-18-2013 12:13 PM

I read a couple places online not to use it because it does contain arsenic..

But so does oscomote plus? Here's another website with a more detailed analysis:

Oscomote Plus:
Fertilizer Product Information

Ironite Plus
Fertilizer Product Information

Ironite does have more, so perhaps that does make a different, but are either of these safe then?

Boredomb 05-18-2013 12:23 PM

I have seen tons of ppl using Oscomote Plus. They normally put them in size 00 capsules and put them in the tank every 1-2 square feet I believe.

jennesque 05-18-2013 12:26 PM

Yeah, I've definitely seen it.. But does it cause fish cancer?

I've seen multiple people say 'use oscomote because it doesn't have arsenic'.. But it does. I don't know of the lesser amount makes it safe? :/

I'm sort of scared to use either. I hear the Seachem tabs are next to useless, and these are obviously cheaper.
I just haven't found any Oscomote Plus yet, but now I'm worried about using them at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

ao 05-18-2013 12:58 PM

I have a lot of people around me using it. I'm not sure about fishcancer... they definitely care more for their plants :)

jennesque 05-18-2013 01:11 PM

That's actually exactly what I was thinking.. I know lots of people with planted tanks use it, but it's mostly people who put their plants before their fish. I put the fish before plants; I have plants to make my fish feel safe and happy.

jennesque 05-18-2013 01:32 PM

I saw an article titled "One too many Osmocote tablets!"
I'm probably going to just pass on these all together. This seems too risky.

ao 05-18-2013 01:40 PM

Sorry had to remove your link and edit your post, as it is againt TFKforum rules to post links to other forums...

My friend had a 100+ nitrate reading from a few too many osmocote. He didn't lose any stock to the nitrate, but it made his betta jump out of the tank in search for better waters >.<

jennesque 05-18-2013 01:51 PM

Oops, so so sorry. But yes. Multiple people having problems with that. Doesn't seem worth the risk.

I'll have to look for other options that are specifically for use in aquarium.
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 05-18-2013 03:19 PM

Why are flourish tabs useless?

Maybe i should start selling the tabs i make :P