Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Why are my mystery snails dying? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/why-my-mystery-snails-dying-181690/)

NewFishFiend 05-18-2013 03:18 AM

Why are my mystery snails dying?

Ive had my 75 gallon tank for about 5 month. It is perfectly cycled. Params r 0/0/5-10. I have 4 angels, 4 platys and 8 tetras. Since ive had the tank cycled ( about 4 months) ive been through 6 mystery snails. I know snails are more prone to nitrites and nitrates but ive been very adamant with my water params and pwc. I do have very soft water, but i cannot see how that would kill snails within 3-4 weeks if im adding calcium. I loved my snails and will not buy more if my soft water makes them suffer. My husband thinks the fish pick on them and given angel's behavior it would not surprise me, but i personally never seen any fish even notice the snails. Am I doomed for mystery snails? Oh btw, i raise ramhorns for my puffers amd they thrive in the same soft water. I have a few egg laying adults that have lived for months.

djembekah 05-18-2013 03:42 AM

Well, what do the snails look like when they die? Are their shells eroded, perhaps even holey? Calcium is great but i think snails need more than just that...not 100% positive though.
I don't know a lot about the inner workings of snails yet, but if you think about it...fish need the proper water type to thrive, insides and all, so maybe even if the shells look fine, theymay have internal issues....sorry to speculate on your thread, but you got me thinking!

alternatively, did you purchase all the snails from the same source? Perhaps they had a sickly group.

I've got some research to do but i hope we can work together to figure out your snail problem!
Posted via Mobile Device

NewFishFiend 05-20-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 2083130)
Well, what do the snails look like when they die? Are their shells eroded, perhaps even holey? Calcium is great but i think snails need more than just that...not 100% positive though.
I don't know a lot about the inner workings of snails yet, but if you think about it...fish need the proper water type to thrive, insides and all, so maybe even if the shells look fine, theymay have internal issues....sorry to speculate on your thread, but you got me thinking!

alternatively, did you purchase all the snails from the same source? Perhaps they had a sickly group.

I've got some research to do but i hope we can work together to figure out your snail problem!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry about my delayed response. Been a crazy weekend with my baby's bday party. Anyway, ive gotten snails from a few different sources. They seem happy and healthy at first. Shells look good. They eat and mate. And then within about a month they just die.
Posted via Mobile Device

djembekah 05-20-2013 03:34 PM

No worries!

now, are you sure they're dead? I personally give my snails a couple days to make sure. my biggest rabbit snail can pull herself waaay back into her shell, and i thought she was gone for sure. glad i didn't bury her.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewFishFiend 05-20-2013 08:44 PM

Oh no, they r definitely dead. I am sure. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

djembekah 05-20-2013 09:51 PM

hm :/ can you tell me exactly what your parameters are?

NewFishFiend 05-20-2013 10:27 PM

Amm-0, nitrites-0, nitrates- 5 or 10 ( its hard to completely differentiate on the color chart), kh-6, gh-2, ph-7.8
Posted via Mobile Device

djembekah 05-20-2013 11:16 PM

seems fine except for softness. i've never personally had mystery snails, but i wonder if maybe they are more prone to disease than others?

thekoimaiden 05-21-2013 12:15 AM

I'm pretty sure it is your low GH that is contributing to their deaths. Mystery snails are a bit more sensitive to low minerals than rabbit snails, ramshorns, or MTS. You will likely need to harden that water if you want to keep mystery snails. They will also need to supplemented with additional food like algae wafers as they are too large to find enough food in a tank.