Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Spontaneous tank purchase- my new 29 gallon! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/spontaneous-tank-purchase-my-new-29-a-18143/)

Kim 09-27-2008 11:26 AM

Spontaneous tank purchase- my new 29 gallon!

Well, here is another case of MTS! I just got a 29 gallon aquarium with stand, light, and hood off of craigslist for $10. This is going to be my project tank, and I thought I would start a thread to document its progress. I already know that I will need a new light fixture (the one it has is only rated for a 20 watt bulb) as I am going to plant it. Here's my plan of action:

-get a shop light (should I go for 2 or 3 watts per gallon?)
-get some play sand as substrate
-use root tabs and DIY CO2
-get a filter rated for 50 gallon tanks (I know a lot of people like the bio wheel ones, but what is the noise factor? The tank will be in my room, and I do need to sleep in there!)
-get a 150 watt heater
-plants!
-pick up some driftwood from a nearby lake and boil it thoroughly
-get some rocks (is granite ok?)
-cycle using fishless cycle

My 15 gallon has sort of been my trial, so I now pretty much know what I am doing as far as plants go. But, I am going to experiment with the CO2 and such first before I get any fish. I want to avoid any problems with the plants before I have to worry about fish as well (something I learned last time).

So, here comes the fun part, I really have no idea what fish I should put in there, so I am looking for imput. I already have guppies, corys, a betta, and I am getting a gourami, so I am looking for something different. Preferably something not so common as tetras, plattys and such.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions, comments, etc.? I am on a limited budget, so I will probably be purchasing a little something here, and a little something there, and Christmas is coming up! So, I have plenty of time to plan a really nice tank, and decide on some cool fish.

I will post pictures as I add things.

Kim 09-28-2008 01:21 PM

34 views and no one has any ideas! Hmmm, and I thought that everyone would be trying to fill my tank with their favorite fish!

I got a heater yesterday, as I will be using this tank as a quarantine for some new fish for my 15 gallon until I get the things that I need to set it up. In a few minutes, I will be cleaning and resealing it, as well as making my own temporary filter.

iamntbatman 09-28-2008 01:45 PM

I have a 29g tank with nothing in it but a Jack Dempsey. Eventually I'm going to get him a bigger tank (55+) but since he's only about 3 1/2" right now I've still got a while. I was thinking about heavily planting the tank when he's gone and getting a single Leopard Ctenopoma. It would be really cool in a heavily planted tank.

You could also try a pair of mid-sized cichlids like convicts or salvini cichlids. You could do a pair of any type of dwarf cichlids and still have room to add some other fish.

Tyyrlym 09-28-2008 01:49 PM

I have a Penguin 300 biowheel. It's an older one and I hardly notice it anymore. So long as the water level doesn't get low its pretty quiet.

As for fish, what about rasboras? Ya know... asian tetras.

Mirta 09-28-2008 01:53 PM

But why not tetras? They may be common, but are so elegant, friendly and beautiful... There are many varieties to choose from as well, and they all look quite different, but for neon and cardinal tetras, I guess, well also rummies have look alikes, and others too if you think of it. But you can still find a great variety in the family.

jeaninel 09-28-2008 02:48 PM

Wow...a 29 gallon WITH stand for $10? What a great find.

How about a couple keyhole cichlids with some rummynose or bleeding heart tetra and some cories for a nice South American tank? Keyholes are peaceful for cichlids and have such cute faces. Sand substrate, plants and driftwood with a couple rock caves would complete the tank.

Or for an Asian tank how about a couple pearl gouramis with harlequin rasboras and some kuhli loaches?

Looking forward to seeing the tank progress. Have fun!

Kim 09-28-2008 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great responses! All the ideas sound great, and I will have to google image some of the fish that I am not familiar with.

I didn't even know that there were dwarf chiclids :lol: , and since I've never had any, that may be really fun. The loaches sound cool too. Oh, so many possibilities! :D

As for tetras, I think that I should have worded my first post differently. I do like tetras, and I was thinking of having a small school of something in my tank. I just wanted the main focus to be on a kind of fish that I have not kept yet. :D Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Anyway, I just made the temporary filter for when I put some fish in for quarantine. I used gravel from my guppy tank (this one has the best biological filtration of them all) and it is in there now until I set up the tank. Right now I am waiting for the tank to dry so that I can reseal it. I will post pictures when I set it up. Thanks everyone!

This is going to be so fun!

willow 09-28-2008 03:28 PM

aww i would have jumped in here if i had seen it,
sorry i've been in a little world of my own. :(
well i liked what jeaninel suggested. :)

Kim 09-28-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
aww i would have jumped in here if i had seen it,
sorry i've been in a little world of my own. :(
well i liked what jeaninel suggested. :)

Oh, feel free to continue with the ideas! I would like to hear as many as possible, and I have plenty of time to decide :D .

willow 09-28-2008 03:52 PM

what about killifish ? they would make a nice show,
or kribensis, i really like those.