Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Few More ID's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/few-more-ids-181050/)

killavixen 05-17-2013 08:24 AM

Few More ID's
 
4 Attachment(s)
I got alot of hitchhikers on my new live rock and i have no idea what some are. I have some white vieny things with red tips, like really small feather dusters. I have what appears to be aptaisia. and some other things that look like really tall brown zoas.

wake49 05-17-2013 08:36 AM

You have hit the nail on the head as far as I can see. The top pic might be some kind of mushroom. It is small, so it is hard to tell...

killavixen 05-17-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 2076362)
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I can see. The top pic might be some kind of mushroom. It is small, so it is hard to tell...

Well are the worms good or bad?
Meh, aptasia :smash:

wake49 05-17-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killavixen (Post 2076490)
Well are the worms good or bad?
Meh, aptasia :smash:

Any filter feeders are good in my opinion. You may not be able to sastify their needs, but they mostly will survive in an aquarium setting. I have had the worms stick around for quite some time in different systems I have ran.

:-)

killavixen 05-17-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 2076650)
Any filter feeders are good in my opinion. You may not be able to sastify their needs, but they mostly will survive in an aquarium setting. I have had the worms stick around for quite some time in different systems I have ran.

:-)

Is killing aptasia really necessary? And how do i do it?

wake49 05-17-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killavixen (Post 2076690)
Is killing aptasia really necessary? And how do i do it?

It is a pest. It can multiply and soon be all over all your rock.

I have had the most luck with Peppermint shrimp. They have always devoured every last head of the stuff in my tanks.

I have tried squirting both lemon juice and boiling water in the mouths of these things, but it seems that I can never get every single head of the stuff. If you use lemon juice, make sure you squirt it directly in the mouth when it is open. Use like a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon full in a medicine syringe.

Others swear by Aiptasia X. I have never had luck with it, but mainly for the same reason I don't have luck with lemon juice. But I have heard a lot of success stories with Aiptasia X.

killavixen 05-17-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 2076826)
It is a pest. It can multiply and soon be all over all your rock.

I have had the most luck with Peppermint shrimp. They have always devoured every last head of the stuff in my tanks.

I have tried squirting both lemon juice and boiling water in the mouths of these things, but it seems that I can never get every single head of the stuff. If you use lemon juice, make sure you squirt it directly in the mouth when it is open. Use like a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon full in a medicine syringe.

Others swear by Aiptasia X. I have never had luck with it, but mainly for the same reason I don't have luck with lemon juice. But I have heard a lot of success stories with Aiptasia X.

Just talked to the lfs that sold the rock, they said if i bring in the rock they inject it for me. No cost :)

wake49 05-17-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killavixen (Post 2076898)
Just talked to the lfs that sold the rock, they said if i bring in the rock they inject it for me. No cost :)

Cool. 8-)

killavixen 05-17-2013 10:14 AM

someone told me to frag the aptasia... that its a high end aptasia .... i lol'd

wake49 05-17-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killavixen (Post 2077058)
someone told me to frag the aptasia... that its a high end aptasia ....


Are they calling it Aiptasia mutabalis? I think that Aiptasia mutabalis isn't as small of a specimen as its undesirable cousin...

I cannot tell from the pic, but I don't think I could be convinced it is mutabalis.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2