Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   WHOA! EGGS! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/whoa-eggs-18089/)

MegK 09-24-2008 07:11 AM

WHOA! EGGS!

im so excited.

my peppered cories were swimming together strangley last night, so i figured it was the mating dance, i looked uo a video and it didnt quite look like that..

either way it ended up being it and now theres a bunch of little egg clusters all other the front of the tank

its weird though, i only have two cories, and i thought they breed in groups not pairs

-i also wanted to add, that idk what to do! lol i have had kribensis before and the parents were really good, until the female started attacking the male
any special care for these guys?

1077 09-24-2008 08:49 AM

are you sure they are eggs from cory's? They are said to exhibit little parental care after eggs are laid so you may wish to move them so they don't eat the eggs. after three or four days the eggs may hatch and then you will need some fry food for the little wigglers. :D PS I meant move the parents.

willow 09-24-2008 10:41 AM

hello there and congratulations.
Falina wrote a fantastic artical about this in this breeding
section i think,http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6280
have a look at that,it should give you all the info you'll need.
:)

iamntbatman 09-24-2008 11:59 AM

They will breed in pairs, it's just that it's easier if you have a group. My cories eat all of their own eggs off the glass within 24 hours. The snails also really like them. So, if you want to try to save the eggs and hatch some fry, you should remove anything in the tank that might eat them. Also, you can try verrrry carefully scraping the eggs off the glass with a sharp razorblade. Many people put the eggs in one of those livebearer breeding nets and place an air stone in the water below the net to keep the eggs tumbling. The eggs are also prone to fungus, so you might also want to treat with an anti-fungal as a preventative.

I've never tried to hatch any of my eggs before so I can't really give you any advice on taking care of the fry, but I assume they'll eat the usual stuff like prepared fry foods and baby brine shrimp.

MegK 09-24-2008 03:03 PM

well i have a large snail in there and a bunch of pest snails.

idk where i would put them...

im not sure if i want 40 more fish lol

iamntbatman 09-25-2008 01:11 AM

I hear you. It would be really cool to try to hatch some of mine, but I really don't have anywhere I could put them to grow them out to a large enough size to sell. Your snails and cories will probably eat all of the eggs within a few days.

MegK 09-25-2008 06:19 AM

well theres alot and some in unusual places, we will see if any do hatch

lol... there was one snail with on stuck to hits shell:|

my fish got BUZAY!

idk.. i think i was to say they love each other, they were cuddling yesterday and no one at a time will watch out the front of th tank... maybe guarding?

iamntbatman 09-25-2008 04:25 PM

Oh...once they spawn once, you can expect them to do it on a fairly regular basis. Mine tend to lay a whole ton of eggs right after they get a water change.

willow 09-27-2008 07:01 AM

my corys do that too,i have the new water slightly cooler
that i'm replacing,and the corys go mad.
ther'll be eggs all over the place,then the other fish eat them all.

southafrica1001 09-27-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
my corys do that too,i have the new water slightly cooler
that i'm replacing,and the corys go mad.
ther'll be eggs all over the place,then the other fish eat them all.

I wish my cories would do that, they gave me eggs once and never again XD. congratulations on the eggs though Megk :)