Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hello, Newbie here! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hello-newbie-here-18083/)

Lobee 09-23-2008 11:27 PM

Hello, Newbie here!

Alright, I just have a few newbie questions that probably sound silly but im gonna ask anyway so I do the setup the right way for the first time.

I have I think a 50 gallon tank. I had it so long that I forget what is the excact gallon is. I will find out for sure. Anyway I just set it up after a long drawnout repair. I want a fishtank look to be with a lot of plants and fish swimming between them. I will take a picture to show you what it looks like so far tomorrow. I have a penguin 250. I have a 40watt light which I know is the wrong lighting so I will be nuying the correct one soon. I think I need about a 100watt. Well here is the issue besides many others :wink: . My boyfriend and I are arguing about if we need a DIY Co2. I am trying to convince him we need one, while he is telling me we dont need one because we will just use really good lighting for the plants and they should be fine. So I really dont want to buy all the things that I want in it, and have them just die if he is wrong about not getting the Co2. So can anyone help me here and tell me if I have a planted aquarium, would I need a Co2 or can I rely on the good light to do the DIY Co2's job?I know Co2 produces carbon M, so lighting shouldnt be just enough to keep plants healthy. Im sorry if this sounds confusing but im confused also and its late so from reading about setting up all day, im pretty much ready to go to bed out of frusteration. \So please bare with me and I would apprechiate any helpful advice. :?:

SheyFirestar 09-23-2008 11:42 PM

it really depends on what types of plants you want to keep as to what you really need. however co2 injection will only help your plants. even if you dont need it your plants will grow faster with it. also you should look into a plant substrate like eco-complete and fertilzers.

iamntbatman 09-24-2008 11:47 AM

I'm not an expert on planted tanks, but I believe that if you have enough lighting (i.e. high lighting conditions) then CO2 becomes essential in order to control algae growth.

Also, if the tank is in the 50 gallon range (is it a 55g? That's a standard sized tank) then a Penguin 250 is likely not going to be enough filtration. Even if the tank's really understocked, I'd be worried that a Penguin 250 just wouldn't provide enough water movement in a tank that size. You might want to add a canister filter. Normally I'd say that you could add another HOB power filter like an Emperor 400, but with a planted tank using CO2 you really want to disturb the surface as little as possible, so many people choose to use canister filters rather than HOB filters on tanks with CO2 because the output can be positioned below the surface.

willow 09-25-2008 03:52 PM

welcome to you and your b/f :)
i look forward to seeing the pictures of your tank .
not everyone uses co2 systems,and they have had lovley aquariums.
maybe compromise :) start out without and see how you get on
with "root tabs" if you don't get the desired effect then look
into a unit,best of both worlds.
what fish are you two interested in. ?

Little-Fizz 09-25-2008 05:06 PM

I have two planted tanks and the plants do fine without a co2 injection, although I do plan on making one. The only thing that hurts my plants is those darn pond snails :evil: . Don't buy plants with red leaves because they NEED a co2 system.

I would recommend just getting some better lights and then throwing some plants in there and see how they do. Then decide if you want to go through the trouble of a DIY co2. I must say, ferts are a must! My plants didn't thrive until I started adding the fertilizer.

Lobee 09-26-2008 11:13 AM

Hi all, Im back. I took a break from everything! I was a bit overwelming. I guess I shouldnt try to learn everything in one night lol. Anyway I guess what im going to do is just take it slow. Then add a thing here and there and one day ill get there but for now I will show you what the tank looks like. Its plan and as for now im going to get a couple low light plants and get a few of those life like plants and go from there. I bought 4 blue rams yesterday. I always wanted some. For its tank mates im interested in
silver or platinum hatchetfish
bleeding heart tetra(maybe)
montezuma swordtail
banded peckoltia tiger
nothos killifish (need more info on them)
endlers livebearer(need more info on them
O yeah I love aferican butterfly fish. I give all my house spiders to them when I had some. Any way though its a toss up between hatchetfish and the butterfly! I really like excotic fish. I want fish that you dont see in stores but not to excotic. Anyway let me figure out on how to get pics up here and ill be back! Thank you all for your help and please if you have some more advice for me im all ears!

Lobee 09-26-2008 11:21 AM

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/9656_fish_002_2.jpg

Here is the tank. The bottom tray is for a ten gallon fishtank tank I need to get set up next. My B/f built this like ten years ago!

Lobee 09-26-2008 11:33 AM

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/9656_fish_033_1.jpg

1077 09-26-2008 11:41 AM

How long has your tank been running? are there any other fish?

iamntbatman 09-26-2008 12:21 PM

You should also be prepared for aggression with those rams. If all of them are male, you could have some major problems. Also, if you've got mixed sexes and they form pairs, you could have serious issues when they decide to breed.

The African Butterfly Fish will probably eat all your Endler's livebearers. I have some of the Endler's; they're basically treated the same way as guppies except they're even more comfortable at standard tropical temperatures.