Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Feeding for 1 Betta and 4 pygmy Cories? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/feeding-1-betta-4-pygmy-cories-18058/)

pachuuga 09-22-2008 08:30 PM

Feeding for 1 Betta and 4 pygmy Cories?

So I'm very very new here, and have just recently gotten a new tank setup going. I've taken care of lots of fish over the years, but not put this much effort into really doing it right - I've been stalking the forums for several weeks now.

Now I have what turns out to be a very sweet male Betta (as Bettas go), and 4 pygmy cories in a 10g tank and am hoping to add just a few more fish later (maybe tetras?) that would be a little more visible than my cories are. They are a shy bunch for sure.

Anyway, we had the Betta for a few weeks before adding the cories, and now I'm not sure how much to be feeding them all. I have floating flakes/freeze dried bloodworm mix, floating pellets (that the Betta has a hard time eating so many of them sink), and some tablets for bottom feeders. I don't want to over feed, but I'm afraid that my cories are going to starve if I don't feed enough that gets to them.

So how do I decide how much to feed 4 pygmy cories and a Betta? The tablets say for daily feeding, but the pygmy cories are sooo tiny, and get extra leftover from the Betta. The tablets seem like they'd provide waay to much food, but I put one in the other night before bed and it was gone in the morning.

Let me know what other info might be helpful for a newbie deciding how much to feed!

iamntbatman 09-23-2008 12:28 PM

You might want to get some more pygmy cories. They'll be much less shy in larger groups, so six of them would perhaps be more visible than four. As far as the pellets go, I usually feed them to bettas one at a time so that they don't have a chance to sink. Pygmy cories are tiny fish so they don't really need a whole lot of food. One good sized shrimp pellet or algae wafer should be more than sufficient. You might want to break or smash it up a little before putting it in the tank so it's easier for the little guys to eat.

pachuuga 09-24-2008 09:54 PM

hmmm, ok. I do feed the Betta one pellet at a time, but he'll let the last one sink. I have been just giving him a few extra so that they'll sink and the cories can eat them. The pellets for the corries (sinking tablets) I have are HUGE - can I feed them every other day with that? Since they tend to not eat while I'm there (they wait until long after the light is turned off), I can't tell if the tablet just dissolved or if they ate it.

okiemavis 09-27-2008 11:46 PM

Well, the cories should be less shy than that. What sort of substrate do you have? I ask because cory's whiskers are easily hurt by rough gravel and that is what they use to smell and find their food. If you don't have sand, it may be time for a change.

Another thing I'd recommend is adding more decorations and plants (fake or real). With some more caves, nooks and crannies they may feel safer.

Thirdly, I think your tank wouldn't really be able to fit a proper shoal of mid dwellers. If you double the corys your tank will be well stocked and the cories should be much more active and outgoing.