Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Bettas in planted tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/bettas-planted-tanks-18028/)

Kim 09-21-2008 06:30 PM

Bettas in planted tanks

Ok, so I took everyone's advice and my algae problem is now under control. Thanks. I think that I was just leaving the light on too long.

I still want to put my betta in there as I had origonally planned, but I am a little nervous to do so. The last time I tried it, he split his fin on something (I really don't know what he could have done it on, as all that is in the tank is real plants and smooth driftwood) and got fin rot. I think the fin rot is because the plants were releasing a lot of organic matter into the water.

Since then I have gotten another filter which does a great job clearing up the water, but creates a lot of current. Will my betta stay out of the current, or will he just stress himself out trying to swim through it? Will the gravel eventually come completely clean as I stir it up and siphon the gunk that comes out every week?

Other than those questions, I would really like to hear from people who have kept bettas in planted tanks. Have any advice or tips? Thank you very much, I'm sure you can tell that I am a newbie to planted tanks, so any advice is very appreciated.

willow 09-23-2008 01:39 PM

hi
i have always kept my bettas in a planted tank,and often
with drift wood too,can't say i have ever had a problem.
i don't ever catch my bettas in a net,i use a container,so
there is no chance there of torn fins,it would only take
a little tiny cut to start a problem.

Kim 09-23-2008 05:42 PM

Oh, yeah. I caught him with a cup to avoid injury, so he had to have done it in the tank. It's good to hear that you keep bettas in planted tanks, makes me feel better about it. I am going to try again after I clean up the gravel a bit more. He really liked the corys (they would all hang out together on the bottom) so I really want this to work out. They give him something to look at during the day when there is no action in my room. Thanks!

willow 09-24-2008 08:59 AM

no problem,glad i could help. :)

Kim 09-25-2008 06:50 PM

Well, unfortunately I think that this is a no go. I tried my betta in there again and the current was just too much for him. He was having a hard time swimming and he wasn't even in the main stream. I had to rescue him after a couple minutes (during which he almost got caught on a plant) and put him back in his old tank. I am pretty sure that he split his fin on a plant the last time, and that was before the new filter. So, I am going to leave him in his tank, and get him a few shrimp friends after I rig up a quarantine tank.

I guess every situation is different, and this one was just not going to work. Thanks anyway.

willow 09-27-2008 05:52 AM

aww kim,sorry to see this,is there no way of putting
something over the out flow of the filter,seems such a shame.
:(

Kim 09-27-2008 11:03 AM

No, I don't think so. If the tank does not get enough surface current, the surface of the water gets really gunky, and I really need that other filter or the water gets really cloudy. I am going to get a new light fixture and some more flourish excel today, and I am hoping that my plants will grow better and not release so much gunk. The gravel is good now though, and I put my 2 male guppies in there yesterday. No more babies!

Oh well, sometimes things just don't work out as planned :roll: .

willow 09-27-2008 02:59 PM

i wish you the very best of luck. :)

Kim 09-27-2008 07:23 PM

Thanks. :)