Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Coralife (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/coralife-17974/)

Little-Fizz 09-18-2008 05:53 PM

Coralife

I just got in from buying my new aquarium lights. I ended up getting it at my LFS. Its a coralife for freshwater aquariums, its 65 watts.

So I asked about getting some help reaching a glass lid from one of the top shelves and the guy said not to use a lid. And he gave me arms to sit my light on. Now my only problem is that its going to evaporate like crazy and I can see specks of water flying up and landing on the light. Is this something to be worried about?

Lol I just transferred some plants from my 28 gallon so it doesn't seem as empty. Any recommendations for stocking? I have a few platys in there, I want one, maybe a pair of blue rams. And I want a small shoal of cory cats. I will have 2 filters running on this tank and I figured my filtration will be good enough for a little something else. Say a few guppies? Or tetras? Any thoughts?
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/2862_IMG_2569_1.jpg

Good choice on the lights? Yes? No? Thanks.

iamntbatman 09-18-2008 06:22 PM

No lid? What? I have no idea why he told you that. Maybe the light could overheat if it was placed directly on a glass lid? I can't tell from that picture - would it be possible to use those raised legs with a glass canopy at the same time? I'd definitely get one, as it will help with evaporation, keep your fish from jumping and protect the light from splash damage.

How big is this tank? A 20 high? I think you could probably do a ram or two (maybe two females or a pair, but the tank is too small for two males so you might have to return a fish). The cories would also be nice. That'd cover your bottom to mid levels, so how about something for up top? Once you have that lid in place, what about a group of six hatchetfish? They make for cool surface dwellers. You could also do golden wonder killies as long as you're not planning on having any really small fish in the tank. Of course, schools of smaller tetras (neons, black neons, ember, Von Rio, rummynose, etc) would work, as would smaller rasboras or barbs, danios, or guppies.

okiemavis 09-18-2008 06:41 PM

I've got a bunch of those exact lights...I'd recommend reading my post in the "reviews" section.

You can place it directly on a glass canopy, or with legs & a canopy or with no canopy. It doesn't really matter, whichever works for you. Stocking the tank will certainly be easier if you keep a lid on it though.

The light is designed to be relatively water resistant, so it is completely fine without a lid between it, which is probably where your salesperson got his idea. However, most people I know use their coralife's with lids.

aunt kymmie 09-18-2008 07:12 PM

I just read the review okiemavis did on the coralife. Bummer. If I'd read that first I may not have purchased the two I have....

Little-Fizz 09-18-2008 09:13 PM

He said that the glass would some how make a difference with the light. I don't know, I guess it doesn't make sense, but he wasn't trying to sell me something so I'm not complaining. It sounded weird, but I get what he was saying, and he showed me his planted tanks and whatever and he had the same set up. I'll just get a lid tomorrow. I haven't read okies thread on the lights yet, I hope its not to bad :?

Thanks for the suggestions batman, I like the sounds of killi fish, what kinds exactly would be good? I was thinking a male and female ram but then they would get aggressive, so I might just get one male.

iamntbatman 09-19-2008 01:22 AM

Female German blue rams can be tough to find, anyway, so getting one would probably be safer. I personally only have golden wonder killies and I really like them. they're great looking fish and have pretty cool personalities. There are some really good looking killies out there though, like clown killies, that would be safer around smaller fish.

Keep in mind that much of the literature indicates that killies do better at lower temps (i.e. room temperature), while the ram especially needs higher temps. I keep both species together at 78-79. My ram isn't showing a whole ton of color yet but it's still really small, and the killies are absolutely gorgeous and very active. Personally, I think that breeders just keep their killies at lower temps to a) save on operational costs, b) lower the metabolism of the fish (thus prolonging their lives) and c) allowing them the option of raising the temperature to induce breeding. Just a theory of mine, though. People have been keeping killies at lower temperatures for years so I could be totally wrong.

iamntbatman 09-19-2008 01:42 AM

One more thing: I don't own the specific fixture you have there, but I do have some Coralife T5 Aqualights and have been really impressed with them. Really solid fixtures, if you ask me.

Little-Fizz 09-19-2008 06:49 AM

Really? Theres female rams at my LFS right now, I believe in the tank they had like 6 rams and two were male and the rest were female. They were tiny and had some good colours on them considering they were in the fish store.

Awww clown killies are pretty cute. I like the golden wonders too, they have tons of colour. I don't think I've ever seen killifish at my lfs. So I'll ask and see if he even knows what I'm talking about then hit up another place.

Thanks for all the input!! I'm off to the fish store tonight.

And I never answered your question, my tanks a standard 20 gallon, 24" across.. I can't remember how tall it is, but its not a tall tank.

iamntbatman 09-19-2008 01:29 PM

I've seen golden wonders at most LFS's, even Petsmart. Florida flag fish are also killifish but they behave almost like dwarf cichlids and look different from most killies, but they're pretty common, too. Only one of my LFS's has other types available, but they've got maybe 6-8 varieties at decent prices (i.e. $8-$15 for a pair). They're really expensive on liveaquaria, so if your LFS doesn't have them I'd check with local aquarium clubs or something before resorting to paying a ton of money for them online. I know okiemavis got a bunch of different pairs at her local aquarium society. You can also buy the eggs online for fairly cheap, but those might only be for annual killies. They only live for a year so they might not be something you're interested in.

SheyFirestar 09-20-2008 12:18 AM

just curious but dont most killies prefer cooler water than rams,platys, and cory cats. i know there are a few that do well closer to 80 but i thought i read somewhere the majority of them are cool water?