My girlfriend's betta has some sort of weird bloat/growth kind of thing going on that I can't identify.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 2
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? Since April '08
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) One female crowntail betta and a few MTS
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? A bit of java fern
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 78F
7. What make/model filter are you using? Air-driven UGF
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? nope
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? none
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? Four days ago, 50% change
11. How often do you perform water changes? Weekly
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? Wardley betta pellets twice a day, 3-4 pellets per feeding
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? 10 watt compact fluorescent screw-in bulb on about 12 hours a day
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? see below
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. pH is about 6.8, ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate about 10 ppm
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? API liquid
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? Her old betta (which was in a different tank before this one) died recently, so this female is relatively new (about three weeks in the tank). It was the most lively female betta for sale.
The fish is bloated but has been eating normally and passing waste. The fish is very active and doesn't seem bothered at all. This is our first female, so I'm not sure how pudgy they get when full of eggs. There's no pineconing at all. In addition to the bloat, there's a weird sort of "pimple" near the anus that has grown in size. I would say it's 2-3 mm in size now and is totally white. I might be able to post a picture later. Any thoughts?
Update: after doing some research, I'm realizing that this little girl is just plump full of eggs and the white pimple thing is just a bunch of eggs bursting out of her egg spot. Is there anything we need to do? I read that females can get infections from being egg-bound without a male to squeeze them out of her. Any advice?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2