Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
- - "Docteur Fish" Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/docteur-fish-aquarium-17963/)
"Docteur Fish" Aquarium
I'd like to start a freshwater aquarium that would double as a "foot bath" :smoke:
(I got the idea there : http://www.chinese-tools.com/china/c...ting-fish.html )
Any thoughts on where I should start ?
:blueyay: BABES in swimming pools, sign me up!
It's a cool idea, and apparently works well. There's a spa in northern Virginia that uses that method, although with a different species of fish (not sure which species, but they're definitely not the Garra rufa pictured in your link).
The biggest concerns I would have are:
1) Apparently, in order for the fish to do their job effectively, they're usually "starved" for a period of time which might not be great for the fish.
2) Unless you did a really good job of cleaning your feet prior to placing them in the tank, I'd be worried about introducing nasty stuff to my tank.
3) The fish pictured there, Garra rufa, are hard to find in the aquarium trade. They often sell for about $10 a fish. I did some digging just now and found lots of 100 fish selling for about $600, but it would be hard to find smaller quantities.
Spare the fish and use a pumice stone instead.
My garra likes to suck on my arm whenever I stick my hand in the tank. It's very cute!
However, I wouldn't set up a "foot spa" tank. Firstly, there's just too much risk of introducing different pollutants and such when you stick your feet in the tank. There's also the issue of how heavily you would have to stock the tank in order to get your feet cleaned without it taking 8 hours. Thirdly, if you fed them properly, it may not work out as well as in the media.
creepy flesh eating fish!
not really. pretty neat i guess.
just one real thought on this.
eww you have no idea where those fishies lips have been.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.