Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   starting reef tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/starting-reef-tank-1796/)

franklinr_casedo 12-11-2006 08:39 PM

starting reef tank

Hi guys,
sory to bother you. am about to start my 50 gallon reef tank. my questions are:
1.how will i put liverock at a time. will use this as part of a cycling process.
2.do i need to buy right a way MH although my tank is only in a cycling process
3.what time will i open protein skimmer.
4.what device will i buy to measure water params such as nitrate amonia nitrites

thanks
please help.
frank

jsm11482 12-11-2006 09:49 PM

Only one I can answer is #4: Doc Wellfish makes a "Master Test Kit" for salt water and freshwater aquariums: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Good luck with your new setup!

caferacermike 12-11-2006 11:35 PM

You can add all of your rock work at one time to the tank. Wait about 6 weeks with your system fully running, skimmers, filters, lighting etc... Your tank and rock will cycle together.

Do you need a MH light at all? It all depends on what you want to keep. If you are going reef and really want it to "pop" then yes a MH is for you. Can you get away with T5 flouoros? Yes you can. Will it save you money in the long run? Probably not. Buying several fixtures and bulbs is more expensive than one nice MH. Can you wait 6 weeks while the tank cycles? Yes you can. Your coraline algae may suffer and die off. It will comem back but slowly. The main reason for coraline is that hair algae will not grow where coraline is.

I'd run the protien skimmer from day one. This way you can figure it all out before adding the fish.

Aquairum pharmacueticals does make nice kits. The Doc wellfish name is being replaced by API. Salifert and Seachem are regarded as the best most accurate kits. Don't forget a nice swing salinity guage or refractometer.

franklinr_casedo 12-12-2006 06:00 AM

thanks mike
but anyway what do you mean T5 flouros, sory i got lost.

Lupin 12-12-2006 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franklinr_casedo
thanks mike
but anyway what do you mean T5 flouros, sory i got lost.

They're light tubes, Frank. You're lucky I was studying on light tubes lately as I was preparing for my planted tank.:mrgreen: Try the lights branded Phillips. If you can, get 40 watts(one tube).

caferacermike 12-12-2006 06:38 AM

If you went with T5 or power compacts I'd recommend way more than 40w unless it is a fish only tank. More like 150w or better. I know of everal 20g nanos with 250w or more to keep very specific corals alive.

franklinr_casedo 12-12-2006 08:14 AM

you mean in order for my anemones to stay alive and healthy what i need to do is to put two philips (80W) in my reef tank? are you refering flourescent or is it different?

Lupin 12-12-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

you mean in order for my anemones to stay alive and healthy what i need to do is to put two philips (80W) in my reef tank? are you refering flourescent or is it different?

Hi Frank.:wave:

With 150W Mike has mentioned, you'll need 3-4 tubes. They should be fluorescent, of course. Incandescent just gives off too much heat.
I haven't known any lighting here that has more than 40W per tube other than 40W.

franklinr_casedo 12-12-2006 08:25 AM

that's great, that way i can save money. i went to lfs and they told me that 20w MH would be enough for my anemones. am very confused

Lupin 12-12-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

that's great, that way i can save money. i went to lfs and they told me that 20w MH would be enough for my anemones. am very confused

20W seems far too low but then again, MH is still different from fluorescent. I'd go with fluorescent rather than metal halides. MHs need to be hang as they tend to give off much heat.