Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Thinking about Three-Spot (blue) Gouramis... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/thinking-about-three-spot-blue-gouramis-179306/)

Neil D 05-15-2013 07:00 PM

Thinking about Three-Spot (blue) Gouramis...

Hi guys,

I have a 38g tank available for use and I am looking to stock it after a fishless cycle. I really like gouramis. I was wondering how many i could put in this tank? I've seen many different pages here and else where online and can't come to a definite conclusion. Should my tank have 2 females to a male? Two males? A mated pair? Two females? Does it not matter if the tank is heavily (and artificially) planted?

Also how are they with other species? (Tetras, barbs etc. I know these are fin nippers, just wondering though)

jaysee 05-16-2013 10:40 PM

I said in your other thread that you could keep one 3 spot gourami in that size tank. They are pretty aggressive with their own kind - I would not attempt to keep a pair in less than a 4 foot tank. They can also be aggressive to tank mates, particularly in a smaller tank. I would stock the tank as a semi aggressive community, if you put a 3 spot in it. Depending on the tank dimensions, a semi aggressive community may not be a good idea.

Neil D 05-17-2013 07:35 AM

Okay, yeah. I just started this thread because I didn't plan on asking about gouramis over there haha

Thanks, and I'm leaning towards honey gouramis anyway. :)

fish monger 05-17-2013 07:35 AM

Agree with Jaysee on the three spot. They can be relentless in chasing a weaker gourami or other tankmates. I have 3 of them in a 4 foot 55 gallon (1 male, 2 females). They get along quite well in that tank; however, when I had them in a 3 foot tank, the chasing was pretty excessive. You might try one of the dwarf varieties. The powder blue variety is a really nice looking fish.

Neil D 05-17-2013 07:42 AM

Speaking of dwarfs, how is their temperament with other dwarf gouramis? (ie how many to a tank)

fish monger 05-17-2013 08:03 AM

They're certainly not as aggressive as the three spot but, my experience has been that there is usually a pecking order with gourami and there will be some chasing. You could probably do 3 in your tank. There are even smaller varieties like the croaking and sparkling gourami. You could research those to see if they fit your plans.

Neil D 05-18-2013 09:24 PM

Alright that seems cool...3 dwarfs (I assume their sex doesn't matter?)

Can I also mix? (e.g. dwarf with 2 pearls)

jaysee 05-19-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil D (Post 2088562)
Alright that seems cool...3 dwarfs (I assume their sex doesn't matter?)

Can I also mix? (e.g. dwarf with 2 pearls)

Dwarf and honey are two different species.

If I were going to mix gouramis, pearl and honey would be the mix I would do. Based on my experience with each (independent), I would not expect a problem provide the tank were of adequate size, which yours is border lining in my opinion. There's a chance it might not work out, but I believe the chances are better that it will....

Sent from Petguide.com App

Neil D 05-19-2013 07:05 AM

Oh yeah I know dwarfs are different from honeys haha. They're also a bit smaller. I'm fairly certain it will either be 3 pearls or 1 pearl and 2 honeys. Also with a bunch of rasboras.

fish monger 05-19-2013 01:30 PM

The pearls are full size gourami; however, they're one of the most peaceful. I think I'd still be tempted to go with one male and two females or all females if yor're going to mix them.