Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   help please !! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-please-179234/)

bruno 05-15-2013 04:20 PM

help please !!

I don't know what to do about my levels
My ph is at 6.4
Ammo is so high at 8( been this high for months with no deaths or signs of bad health )
Nitrite 5.0
And nitrate is 5-10
What is the best approach to fix my levels
There was 2 big gold fish in there, they were feeders but my Oscar never ate them but they got huge so I recently got rid of them
Thanks in advance for any info

Also have a bubble strip along the back wall , a few places for the fish to hide , fake plants and its a bare bottom tank

Kuddos 2 U 05-15-2013 04:37 PM

I think it was the goldfish that did it. Either that or their are multiple reasons why your parameters are bad(overfeeding, over stock, not changing media,etc.)+

jentralala 05-15-2013 05:55 PM

Water changes, lots of them, every day until the levels lower. Look at adding a few live plants if your lighting can sustain them.

bruno 05-16-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuddos 2 U (Post 2059194)
I think it was the goldfish that did it. Either that or their are multiple reasons why your parameters are bad(overfeeding, over stock, not changing media,etc.)+

Yea I was reading how dirty gold fish are, that's why I wanted to get rid of them

bruno 05-16-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 2060114)
Water changes, lots of them, every day until the levels lower. Look at adding a few live plants if your lighting can sustain them.

Do you know of any plants that would be ok in a bare bottom tank ?

Thanks for the help.

Kuddos 2 U 05-16-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruno (Post 2063626)
Yea I was reading how dirty gold fish are, that's why I wanted to get rid of them

Good thing of you to do so.:-D

jentralala 05-16-2013 12:45 PM

Floating plants like amazon frogbit and water lettuce. You can also float stem plants like anacharis.

What test kit are you using?

The reason the ammonia isn't killing the fish is because you have such a low ph, that turns the ammonia into ammonium, which isn't as dangerous.

However the nitrite at that level should be severely affecting your fish, but perhaps the low ph plays a roll in that also, I have no idea.

What is your water change and cleaning schedule/procedure?

bruno 05-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 2067906)
Floating plants like amazon frogbit and water lettuce. You can also float stem plants like anacharis.

What test kit are you using?

The reason the ammonia isn't killing the fish is because you have such a low ph, that turns the ammonia into ammonium, which isn't as dangerous.

However the nitrite at that level should be severely affecting your fish, but perhaps the low ph plays a roll in that also, I have no idea.

What is your water change and cleaning schedule/procedure?

I'm using the API fresh water master kit ,and I change about 15% of water every 2 weeks...
Thanks for the advice on the plants

Freshcatch 05-16-2013 01:25 PM

Looking at your stocking levels, and your tank size, I would recommend that you start water changes weekly. You should be changing 35% of your water if you are not doing plants in this aquarium. You have a high stock level, and these fish will keep the water dirty if you are feeding heavy. Also the gar may try to eat the others in the tank when it gets large enough. Just a thought there!

bruno 05-16-2013 02:00 PM

Posted via Mobile Device