Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   killifish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/killifish-17897/)

willow 09-15-2008 10:11 AM

killifish

hi
have any of you bought these in egg form and
if you did have you had any success with them.
thanks. :)

Holly 09-17-2008 12:25 PM

I have 3 in my tank right now but I didn't buy them as eggs. Herefishy told me that he had bad experiences with eggs so I stayed away from them and waited till I could find Golden Wonder Killies. They're pretty cool and really keep my guppy population in check!

willow 09-18-2008 03:07 AM

ahhhh ok.
thank you Holly. :)

iamntbatman 09-18-2008 12:34 PM

Yep...I was going to say something similar. I've also got golden wonders but I bought them as juveniles.

willow 09-18-2008 02:29 PM

thank you. :)
i need to have a good read up of their requirements,
i just spotted them and thought they looked beautiful,

iamntbatman 09-18-2008 02:49 PM

Do you mean the golden wonders specifically? I can share a bit of info:

They get about 4 to 4.5 inches long. The males are a darker yellow in color with more red on the fins, while the females are more of a pale gold. You should stock them like livebearers, with a couple females to every male. I didn't follow this rule exactly and have just a pair, but the male doesn't bother her *too* often and normally they swim together as a pair. Even though they're fairly big fish, they can be kept in pretty small tanks. I've heard you can keep a pair of adult golden wonders in something as small as 5.5 gallons, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in less than 10g. pH around neutral is fine as they're easily adaptable to most water conditions and generally pretty hardy. They're known to be jumpers (I can attest to this, as they can jump pretty good at meal times). Most sources of information I've found say that they prefer lower temperatures than most tropical fish (room temp is fine). However, I break this rule as well since I have them in a community tank. I'm also a little skeptical about the rule, since the fish come from waters that contain other fish that are definitely tropical. Personally, I think this information comes from people with breeding operations as lower temps slow metabolism and can thus prolong life. Also, increasing the temp to regular tropical temps induces breeding, so it would be handy for breeders to have that option available. Mine do just great at tropical temperatures and have very vibrant color (even compared to pictures I've seen on the internet). One last thing: they're *very* predatory fish and will eat anything small enough to fit in their rather large mouths. Mine eat livebearer fry like crazy and I wouldn't even trust them with larger guppies. They love any sort of bug you toss in the tank, too. They'll eat just about any kind of prepared or frozen food.

willow 09-19-2008 03:02 AM

thank you so much for taking the time to write all that. :)
hmmm well me thinks they probably won't be any good for my
tank then.i have both guppys and neons. :(
i wouldn't want to deliberatly put either at risk,as it's
taken me forever to be able to keep neons....and they're
the size of the guppys, well a little smaller.............
oh no i feel a spare tank re-birth on the cards. :roll:

iamntbatman 09-19-2008 12:03 PM

Keep in mind there are other smaller killies that aren't as predatory that would probably be just fine with your other fish. Clown killies are really pretty and stay smaller.

willow 09-19-2008 12:17 PM

you're a diamond. :)
thanks.