Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy/platy/cory tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-platy-cory-tank-17884/)

TheBettaholic 09-14-2008 03:52 PM

Guppy/platy/cory tank

I have an empty 20gal long tank that I want to eventually stock with male and female gups. I'm wondering if I can have platys and/or albino cories with them, and if so, how many of each/ each gender?

EDIT: Could I also have a small school of tetra also? say maybe 4 or 5.. The main thing in the tank would guppies though :) I'm not too big on the cories, though they would be cool

willow 09-14-2008 04:09 PM

hello.
to start with i'm no good with number for stocking limits......
what i can tell you is that you need at least three females to every male.
they haress the females to distraction.
the females don't always require males,they can hold sperm
so more that likley they are pregnant when you buy them.
yes to the corys,they will make good bottom feeders.
they should be in a large gtoup,it helps them to be secure.
:)

TheBettaholic 09-14-2008 04:11 PM

Thanks willow :)
I'm aware about the male/female ratio thing. If I wanted just guppies, I think I'd be fine, but it would be fun to have some other species in the tank as well

willow 09-14-2008 06:07 PM

yes indeed,you could have plenty of colour in there. :)

Kim 09-14-2008 07:01 PM

If you want both male and female guppies, I would leave lots of room to spare as far as stocking goes. Those guys can overrun a tank extremely fast, and pretty soon you will have to do multiple water changes a week just to keep the nitrates down (that is what happened to my brother's tank that I rescued). I should add that I do nothing to keep them from being eaten, and the tank has only a medium amount of silk plants. As for the corys, I have heard to keep them in groups of at least 6, and the ones that I have now are really cute and funny to watch. As for the tetras, it all depends on how many guppies you plan on having, but like I said if you are going to have both male and female guppies plan on that number multiplying. Have fun with your new tank, it sounds like it is going to be really fun! :D

iamntbatman 09-14-2008 09:48 PM

I think 6 or so cories, a school of six neons or ember tetras, and 6 guppies (2 male 4 female) would be good. It's a lot of fish, but they're all very small and don't produce much waste so I don't think it'd be a problem. I even think you'd have a little bit of room to play with in terms of extra fry. Eventually, though, you *will* need to get rid of some guppies on a regular basis, so make sure you have a plan for that.

willow 09-15-2008 02:07 AM

eventually you might want a bigger tank. :D

fishman09 12-30-2008 06:47 PM

if you are going to have male and femlae gupps, leave room for babys because they are more in likely going to breed, and corydoras need to be in a group of atleast 5, but 4 is fine, they get to stressed if they are alone