Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What to stock... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-stock-17865/)

Monsterpony 09-13-2008 08:27 PM

What to stock...

I set up my new 75 gallon tank at the end of August and have been cycling it. As I am nearing the end of the process, I still can not decide on what to stock the tank with. I already have a 92 gallon tank with a selection of small community fish so I don't want this new tank to look the same, but this is the only type of fish I have experience owning.

Tank parameters:
freshwater
substrate: gravel
heater: 250W visitherm submersible (maintained at 78F)
filtration: Magnum 350 canister, two HOB power filters
water pH: 8.0-8.2 (from the tap)

If somebody dropped the above tank off at your house, what would you stock it with?

willow 09-14-2008 04:31 AM

well if i was brave(which i'm not) a Marine tank !!
other wise i might plump for Lake Malawi cichlids.Lots of rock work,
nice looking fish.mouth brooders,fun to watch.
you could always have a look at "rate my fish tank.com"
there are some beautifully set up tanks on there with all kinds of
set ups,it can give you ideas on how you might want your tank to look.
:)

okiemavis 09-14-2008 11:25 AM

MUDSKIPPERS!

These are my new obsession, and they're just awesome. It would actually be a brackish 1/2 water 1/2 land setup, as mudskippers are *amphibious*. I keep mine with some nice driftwood, a turtle dock and some rocks as the 'land' portion.

The tank is also stocked with bumblebee gobies, mollies, fiddler crabs, flounder, blue legged hermit crabs, ghost shrimp and snails. The mudskippers spend most of their time lounging on land, and will just sit, staring back at me when I watch them. They're also learning how to eat out of my hand. Very smart critters!

This tank is the one that all my non-fishkeeping visitors are most fascinated by. It just has the most going on and seems the most like an 'ecosystem' with all the different types of critter doing different things.

willow 09-14-2008 02:12 PM

okie that sounds awsome !!
have you shown any pictures ??

iamntbatman 09-14-2008 02:49 PM

Well, your tapwater pH is already perfect for African Rift Lake cichlids. You could do an awesome setup with either Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika cichlids.

onefish2fish 09-14-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
well if i was brave(which i'm not) a Marine tank !!

ever since i stepped up to that plate ive ever so slowly been starting to let my freshwater evaporate. lol

and, a 75 is perfect for it!! its wide and not tall like a 90, great for live rock work and doesnt require MH lights because its not so deep. the only downfall about SW is that its like buying a house ( it doesnt come cheap and theres always upgrades to do, if you know what i mean ) other then that i would def. 100000% do a saltwater tank personally.

Monsterpony 09-15-2008 08:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. A marine tank is pretty much out of the question as my budget is quite minuscule. The mudskippers sound interesting though. I've never kept a brackish tank. Where would I find them? How much different is keeping a brackish tank from a fresh water? Do I have the right kind of filtration?
I have cichlids on my short list because of the hard water around here, but there are so many types, I can't figure out what to get. Would I have enough filtration to handle the crowding to minimize aggression?

iamntbatman 09-15-2008 10:41 PM

Hard alkaline water is right up the alley of African Rift Lake cichlids. I would suggest looking at fish by which lake they come from, choosing which lake you like most, then selecting a stocking list for the particular species. Many of them are fairly inexpensive if you buy them young, and they're hardy fish provided you give them hard, alkaline water, enough rocks to hide and stock the tank correctly. As for filtration, since you'd be heavily stocking the tank you'd want to add adequate filtration. Filters can always be added to a tank.

Brackish tank just means that you've got brackish water. This just means it has a moderate amount of salt in it. You'd need marine mix and a good hydrometer for a brackish tank. Also, the plants you could keep would be a much shorter list than freshwater, and there are generally fewer brackish fish out there than freshwater. The only fundamental difference, though, is the salt content of the water.