Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Please tell me this isn't Columnaris... =( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/please-tell-me-isnt-columnaris-178642/)

essjay 05-15-2013 04:19 AM

Please tell me this isn't Columnaris... =(

I couldn't get a decent pic so have uploaded 2 clips to youtube..

Short one... Columnaris or Ich??? - YouTube

Longer one... Ich or Columnaris?? - YouTube

I only noticed it this morning and have cranked the temp up in the hope it's just ich.. But research makes me think it might be Columnaris... :cry: This fish is the only one showing signs and I have bristlenose in that tank too!!

I'm going to quarantine her now, and get all water param's etc and fill out the form..

Any ideas in the mean time would be most welcome...

Thanks much

essjay 05-15-2013 06:34 AM

1. Size of tank? 100L

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? <20
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.8, 4, 9 respectively
e. Test kit? Liquid (API, Tetra)

3. Temperature? 23 - 24*C in am, 27 - 28*C in pm (Cranked it up in the hope it was ich)

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 6 months

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7 Platy's (5 Adults, 2 Teenagers)
4 Bristlenose Catties

Other Occupants: Ramshorn snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails - self colonised

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No - Platy's were first occupants and Bristlenose came about 1 month later - That was 5 months ago

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Crypt, Mayaca, Java Moss - 3 x fake plants - Real plants fertilised with Duplarit K balls about 5 months ago
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel about 4cm deep
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? River pebbles, driftwood, bell & lamp decor

9. a. Filtration? 3 stage bio-filter incorporated into tank lid - contains bio balls, noods, filter wool. All get's a swish every 2nd water change - Filter wool gets replaced when it looks to rank...

Aqua One Stellar 110 air pump with 10cm air stone

b. Heater? 100w Aqua One

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Timer set for 12 hours a day. Tank has 2 x 13W T-5 tubes - I only have one on at a time though
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Not really, no direct sunlight

11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly, sometimes a few days over
b. Volume of water changed? 20-25%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Yes API dechlorinator
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Just about every water change

12. Foods? Tetra granules and algae wafers mostly, peas every now and then
How often are they fed? twice daily

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? None other than the discolouration of the one platy. Occasionally the platy's will flash around, but I've figured that that is "normal" for them...
b. Appearance of poop? Normal
c. Appearance of gills? Normal

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? The only thing I have done is crank the temp up in the tank hoping it was ich, but considering I'm suspecting it's Columnaris, I've stopped that and the temp is dropping gradually. Affected fish has been quarantined
b. What meds were used? None

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. See youtube clips in the above post

Thanks in advance for any advice.. I'm worried it's Columnaris and I'm scared I'm going to lose them all.... :cry:

EXTRA INFO: The water change I did 2 times ago, I forgot to turn the filter back on, so it was sitting for 6 days... :-( When I realised, I did a 50% water change and thoroughly rinsed the filter and media in tank water. I didn't sanitise it for fear of losing the good bacteria, but I did replace the filter wool completely, instead of the usual half and half... I use lysofoss to boost the beneficial bacteria, and added a good dose of that once the change was done. All of the fish look happy and none of the others are showing any symptoms.. I'm seriously hoping I've caught what ever it is in time.....

fish monger 05-15-2013 07:37 AM

If you're talking about the light area in front of the dorsal fin, I don't think it's ich. That's not to say it's columnaris; however, it can be a symptom. I have attached one of many links you might explore.

Columnaris Information and Symptoms @ petfish.net

essjay 05-15-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 2054466)
If you're talking about the light area in front of the dorsal fin, I don't think it's ich. That's not to say it's columnaris; however, it can be a symptom. I have attached one of many links you might explore.

Columnaris Information and Symptoms @ petfish.net

Thanks Fishmonger..

I know it's a bit hard to see, but there's a whitish patch in from of her dorsal fin and also on her snout. It also looks like she has a bit of white fluff on the top of one eye...

More research for me...

fish monger 05-15-2013 07:47 AM

I'd treat for columnaris right away. It progresses too quickly to delay for long. Did you see the mention of temperature ? Higher temps make it progress more quickly. I'd do a quick water change as soon as possible, at least 50% before adding meds.

essjay 05-15-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 2054514)
I'd treat for columnaris right away. It progresses too quickly to delay for long. Did you see the mention of temperature ? Higher temps make it progress more quickly. I'd do a quick water change as soon as possible, at least 50% before adding meds.

I did see that.. Unfortunately is 10.30 at night here and I don't have any meds on hand.. :-( Water change is definitely happening... I can't add salt because of the bristlenose.. So it's going to be a waiting game I guess...

redchigh 05-15-2013 09:26 AM

Just looks like an injury to me...

Careful if you decide on gram-negative antibiotics, since they'll wipe your filter bacteria.

essjay 05-15-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 2055418)
Just looks like an injury to me...

Careful if you decide on gram-negative antibiotics, since they'll wipe your filter bacteria.

You think so? It's hard to see I know, but the paler parts are definitely leaning towards white.. Could one of the bristlenose have decided to use her as a chew toy? I only just thought of that... Although the white fluffy bit over her eye is concerning...

She seems ok at the moment, other than being pissed off at not being in her home environment... :|

redchigh 05-15-2013 12:31 PM

A secondary fungal infection is common with injuries. Since she's removed, dose the at tank with salt. Columnaris kills fast, fungus doesn't. If she dies in 72 hours or less, or the sores spread, then consider columnaris.

Keep an eye on your fish, and let us know if it gets worse, but I always assume the simplest solution first, before adding chemicals to a display tank.

essjay 05-16-2013 08:07 AM

Bit of an update..

She's still alive and actually seems quite happy! Well as happy as one can be in isolation... She's eating fine and swimming fine and the patches haven't gotten any bigger... If anything, they look like they're fading a bit.....? The rest of the community tank look fine, I can't see any lesions or discolouration..

I misread what you said last night redchigh and haven't dosed her with salt, but will do in a min.. I did a major water change on all tanks tonight and added some API Stress Coat Plus and will closely monitor all tanks...

I'm wondering if she somehow got stuck against the heater and it's burnt her?? Just a theory, because other than being sucked on by a bristlenose, I can't see how she would have gotten that much damage...

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated :-)