Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Unwell corydora (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/unwell-corydora-178610/)

atikin 05-15-2013 01:19 AM

Unwell corydora

Hello Every one

I have a sick albino corydora in my tank

I found him midway in the tank upside down still against an ornament, he then suddenly moved and swam across the tank to rest upright on a log of wood, then he went down to the bottom of the tank and just sits still, moving occasional and just still/resting.

his colour is normal though is internals up his head end may be redder than usual, though this just may be because i haven't looked at him so closely with detail before, but his feelers or bits that come down from the side of his mouth aren't there, im not quite sure if hes eating

Currently as I'm typing this he swam up to the surface and swam around the top with what it looked like his head out of the water, and swiggling about whilst swimming rather fast for about

Does any body know what this is or can help him?

ERICVANCOUVER 05-16-2013 01:48 PM

Hi,

Did you test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite?
Is it the only fish doing this?
What size is your tank? and how many fish?

Eric

atikin 05-16-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERICVANCOUVER (Post 2068498)
Hi,

Did you test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite?
Is it the only fish doing this?
What size is your tank? and how many fish?

Eric

Hello thank you very much for your reply

Sadly he passed away overnight :-(

But luckily he was the only fish with those symptoms

Byron 05-24-2013 08:50 AM

As Eric mentioned, the first thing to do when you see a fish with an obvious problem is to test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I also test the pH, as this can cause issues should it suddenly alter.

If it is just one fish, and the others (all species but especially the same like other corys) appear normal, I would be inclined to just leave things, unless there are very clear symptoms (which is not usually the case). If other fish are showing problems, the next step is usually a water change, 1/2 to 2/3 of the tank volume. This can do no harm (assuming parameters of tap water are close to the tank), and often solves the issue.

But there are cases where a fish has been injured previously--during initial capture, at the fish farm hatchery, in transport, in the store, etc--and there is nothing you can do in such cases as internal damage caused by physical injury or stress is undetectable and often non-treatable. Such fish usually die.

The red mouth area and lack of barbels might be suggestive of other issues, though not likely to cause the fish's demise unless there was an infection. Corys can live fine without barbels, I have had a few over the years, but the redness is not normal. Rough substrates can be detrimental; what is the substrate in this tank? We can consider this just in case, to avoid future issues.

Byron.

JDM 05-24-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atikin (Post 2053634)
his colour is normal though is internals up his head end may be redder than usual, though this just may be because i haven't looked at him so closely with detail before, but his feelers or bits that come down from the side of his mouth aren't there, im not quite sure if hes eating

I doubt that there was much that you could have done at that point but when you say that the feelers (barbels they are called) aren't there... that sounds like injury. I assume that your substrate may be gravel and this may be the problem as corys like to root around in the bottom and rough or sharp gravel can damage their barbels. Sand is the preferred substrate for them but some make OK with small smooth gravel as well.

Water parameters and toxins in the water can be contributing factors in recovery but if it is the substrate causing the injury it should be changed for something easier on the fish.

Jeff.

atikin 05-24-2013 10:36 PM

hello

I have had him for 4 years now (was one of my 1st fish) and he has always had round pebbles in the tank

I definitely need to get some test kits!