Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55 Gallon Lake Tang. Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55-gallon-lake-tang-tank-17823/)

fishdad1 09-11-2008 11:09 PM

55 Gallon Lake Tang. Tank

I am trying to plan out a new take and I have decided to go wit African cichlids. I know I have to overstock the tank to "spread out" the aggression, but I m not sure exactly how much I need to overstock the tank. I was thinking about getting 55 and putting two Emperor 400's on it for the time being. I eventually want to get a canister for it and use leave one hob on it and the other for a 30 gallon community for my daughter. My first question is whether the two hob's would be enough filtration until I can get a canister? My second question is, what kind of canister should I get? I was looking at either the Marineland 360 or the Rena XP3, and didn't know if one was better.

I have a stocklist of what I would like in the tank but I don't know if it is too much for the tank. I would like to utilize all of the stratospheres of the tank and have a rather attractive stock. Here is my stocklist if someone would be willing to give me some input about it, if I should remove some and if so what:

- Neolamprologus brevis----- 3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Altolamprologus compressiceps ----2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Altolamprologus calvus ------3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Chalinochromis brichardi ------2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Neolamprologus buescheri ----3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Lamprologus meleagris ----4 (2 males & 2 females)
- Neolamprologus Leleupi ----3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Julidochromis transcriptus -----2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Neolamprologus sexfasciatus ----2 (1 male & 1 female)
-Neolamprologus tretacephalus ----2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Synodontus eupterus catfish -----1 (male)

Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated. Or should I go bigger and get a 75, but would the filtration setup I want work for that tank? I don't know what to do, I have asked this in the equipment section and they couldn't give me an answer and set me to this section.

Steelerpet 09-12-2008 07:28 AM

Hello and welcome. 2 Emperor 400s on 55 should be good until your get a canister. The 400s are rated to 80 gallons each. My personal input on canister filters is buy an Eheim. I have 2 on my 65 and never once have I had an issue with them in over 4 years. Now if your mind is set on either of the 2 you mentioned, I belive the Marineland is easier use and better quality (IMO).

Now as to the amount of fish, alot depends on the adult size of each fish mentioned. If all 27 fish get a maximum size of 4-5 inches, that is way to much in a 55. But if the maximum size is like a neon tetra, no issue. You will need to see what the adult size is of each fish and then go from there. Each fish requires a certain amount of gallons of water to have fun in their new home. If it's over crowded, fights will break out and you'll lose fishes. Not to mention your bio load on your tank.

IMO, the 75 is the way to go if dollars aren't an issue. Plus this will give the fish more surface area then the 55. The 2 emperor 400s would still be fine but I would get a canister and maybe 1 emperor. You should be able to find both fairly cheap on ebay, Dr Fosters, thatpetplace or numerous other sites. As mentioned, on my freshwater 65 gallon, I have 1 Eheim Model 2227 Canister (Wet/Dry), 1 Eheim 2224 Canister and 1 hang on filter. I also alternate the intacts of the 3 filters so I have an intake high, mid and low suction in the tank, that way all levels are getting cleaned.

I'm fairly new to this site but I'm sure you will get responses to your questions. There are alot of experienced personnel on here. Have fun and start a log and post pictures once you get started and if you come across issues, we are here to help.

1077 09-12-2008 08:53 AM

In my humble opinion the 55gal would be way too small for the number of fish you listed. Add to that the unavoidable aggression due to male and females who may or may not decide to breed and serious battles and possibly deaths could be the results. The 55 gal is not deep enough front to back to allow for the rockwork that is necessary for these cichlids. I have seen a breeding pair of brichardi completely take over a 100 gal. tank and send the other occupants to the corners and to the surface. I have seen breeding pairs of kribs and rams do the same and they are much smaller and docile in comparison to some of the fish you have listed. If you are set on this then i would recommend the very largest tank that you can afford and have room for.

iamntbatman 09-12-2008 02:05 PM

I think the filtration you're talking about would work for a 75g tank. I agree - a 75g would be much safer than a 55g. It's similar in size except it's much wider front to back, so it gives you a lot more room to work with in terms of rock work for your fish to hide in.

About the particular stocking of the tank, I think you should PM SKAustin and give him a link to this thread. I know he keeps many of these fish so he should be able to comment on your stocking list.

fishdad1 09-13-2008 10:44 PM

Thank you for all of the input you have given me. I appreciate it and will put it to good use.

I would love to get the 75 but I don't know if I will be able to convince my wife that I need it and should keep it in the living room. I have done some modifications to my stocking list:

Neolamprologus brevis----- 3 (1 male & 2 females) Male 2.5" & Female 1.5"
- Altolamprologus compressiceps ----2 (1 male & 1 female) Male 5" & Female 4"
- Altolamprologus calvus ------2 (1 male & 2 females) Male 6" & Female 4"
- Chalinochromis brichardi ------2 (1 male & 1 female) Male 6" & Female 5"
- Lamprologus meleagris ----4 (2 males & 2 females) Male & Female 2"
- Neolamprologus Leleupi ----3 (1 male & 2 females) Male 4" & Female 2"
- Neolamprologus sexfasciatus ----2 (1 male & 1 female) Male 4.5" & Female 3.5"
-Neolamprologus tretacephalus ----2 (1 male & 1 female) Male & Female 6"
- Synodontus eupterus catfish -----1 (male) 8.5"

I think this could be a more acceptable list and it consists of all of the breeds that I find rather interesting.