Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Is this a good idea? (Goldfish population)

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  willow 
#1 ·
I have a 10gal (I know small) tank with a 30 gal marineland bio filter (Also has chem/mech filtering too) with proper aeration and a undergravel filter (Which I vacuum weekly). Currently I have one 1 inch Lionhead in it, I test the water parameters daily and all levels have been reading good for the past week (0 ammonia, 7.4 ph, 72 degrees) Now the tank isnt fully cycled I think because I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but the parameters read as if it is, anyways The only problem is the lion head is EXTREMELY lonely, All he does is sit in the front of the tank (where he can see me) and just trys to get my attention, I feel really bad for him, (I know for a fact this is not his normal behavior as I've had him with 2 other goldys and he was always doing normal fishy stuff) So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to perhaps get another 1 inch lionhead as his companion. By the way as soon as they get almost any bigger (3 inches total combined) I have a 45 gal tank waiting for them (I would put him in it now I just cant afford the equipment at the moment). So anyways just wondering what you guys think, thanks.

#3 ·
I have the aeration, buts that's about it lol, I was planning on getting either the marineland 280 or 350 (gph) Biofilter, which is about $40-60 undergravels like $30, Gravel for my tanks going to be at least $20-25, The powerheads like $30-40, and I also have No Decor for it, It wouldn't be that bad but our electricity been extremely high the last 2 months $300 bucks!!! and I got swamped with these other bills, not including the $200 it cost just for the 10 gals equipment, meds, and food. but I will definitely have the tank up by the time they get 3 inches combined.

#4 ·
Well, are you planning on keeping your ten gallon running? Because you could use the filter on that for your 45 gallon and get another HOB of equal GPH and run that one beside it.

Really all you need is gravel, filter, anddd thats all the major important things. Then work your way up, but it sounds like you know what your doing. Good luck! I hope your lionhead likes his new buddy.

#5 ·
Yea I do kinda plan on using the 10 gal for small transparent schooling fish (I already have the heater, just dont have it on for the goldie.) and the 150 (Biofilter on the 10) just isnt strong enough at all for the 45 (My 45 is real deep) I've tryed and the pull isnt very strong, But thanks for the answers and for the record...

The Labyrinth Rocks! xD

#7 ·
well the 150 I have is made for tanks up to 30 gals, so it is big for the tank, but I find it perfect as the current is just right and the pull is just right for the size of the tank, as for the 45gal I wanted to get somthing really powerful especially since its going to be a goldfish tank.

#8 ·
Well, if your looking for macho filtration, look into canister filters. They rule, but they are pricey. And I know thats not really what your looking for. But its a good investment and might be worth the research.

#9 ·
When it comes to the fish I dont really care about the price, its just I wont have it until next month thats all, lkike I said I dropped about $150 just on the 10 gal (Didnt pay for 1 decoration, all natural) So I will look into the canister filters, only reason I'm opting for the high gph is because I read a few times that goldfish need more filtration per size of the tank, so thats my reasoning behind that. But anyways I'm not worried about it, I'm about to go to the fishy store now and get his little brother (I'm trying to get one of the 2 that were originally in the tank with him when I bought him as I didnt get him too long ago and I got him from a respectable local shop that doesnt go through fish like toilet paper)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.