Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Disapearence (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-disapearence-17697/)

bigk_54 09-06-2008 12:25 PM

Fish Disapearence

Ok, I had a groumi, he was about 2 1/2 inches. Today I look at my tank and he is GONE! Moved every decoration, looked in the fake plants, under the filters GONE! This is the 2nd "bigger" fish that I have that has done this. Everything in my tank is pretty much of the Tetra Family plus a cory and pleco so I wouldn't think they would eat him. I find ZERO remains? Anybody else ever have this?!

Little-Fizz 09-06-2008 02:47 PM

Yep, and then one time during a water change I knocked a shell over and out came a dead rotting body :sick:

Check the floor all around your tank!!! If your lucky he might even still be alive.

beetlebz 09-06-2008 05:36 PM

yeah i get that alot. especially with my chick betta tank. they constantly used to jump ship and id find em behind the tank. only lost 1 like that though lol

also move everything even big pieces of wood and what not, fish bodies turn up in the strangest places.

Meatpuppet 09-06-2008 09:48 PM

i had a fish actually get under and trap himself under the under gravle filter. i pulled up the air tube and he came up alive and in shock, the poor thing. :(
i learned that day to burry the UGF in more gravle

kjjb0204 09-15-2008 02:00 PM

I lost a molly for about a week - it seems the plecos didn't like the molly very much and buried it under the gravel in the back corner of the tank.

bigk_54 09-15-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjjb0204
I lost a molly for about a week - it seems the plecos didn't like the molly very much and buried it under the gravel in the back corner of the tank.

Funny you say that, I found my Groumi in a boat that the pleco goes into, unfortunatley dead! NO FISH goes in that boat, just the Pleco and now 2 Clown Loaches we have. His name is Hoffa now I know why I named him that LOL

willow 09-15-2008 03:55 PM

i lost a bristle nosed catfish once during a tank change,
i thought i had burried him under the gravel
i was so worried i stripped the tank again,i eventually found
him alive and well.the tank was a 4ft. :shock:
i have had fish die and nothing to be seen,and on rare occasion
floating skeletal remains.
i forgot to add.................
any dead fish you know of,do a water change, bodies can decompose rapidily and turn the water.

Amphitrite 09-15-2008 03:58 PM

I had a bristlenose go missing on me about 8 months back. I tore the tank apart looking for him, including the filters. Nope, nothing! I never did find out what happened :dunno:

s72450 09-22-2008 05:39 AM

I've had my tank for about three weeks now and I've "lost" four fish. The first victim was a small female betta who somehow got sucked up into the filter. I had only had her for about an hour when I heard a noise in the tank and that was the last of dear Rose. I felt horrible.

I next got five neon tetras and two of them just went missing, they all schooled together for a week and then started to divide off and two of them just never came back.

PetCo was having a Five for Five sale and I fell in love with these beautiful Sunset Fire Platies and I picked up five of them to bring home to the tank and now I'm down to three, one simply went "missing", perhaps he and the tetras are off together, and then one somehow got into a fight with another fish or something and was badly injured, the poor guy didn't last long after that despite medical attention and recieved a burial at sea courtesy of my toilet last night.

Starting a tank is very hit or miss I've found and I'm just hoping to keep my remaining fish alive and well.

Little-Fizz 09-22-2008 08:27 AM

What kind of filter do you have? How big is your tank? Can you post your water parameters? 3 weeks is still kind of young for a tank, it could still be cycling. A healthy fish can usually pull themselves off the filter intake unless they are to small or the flow is to strong (Or they are weakened due to poor water quality). Does your filter have an adjustable flow? It could be a part of your problem, or does your aquarium have a lid?