Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Wood from backyard for NPT? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/wood-backyard-npt-176738/)

Deanna01 05-13-2013 01:47 PM

Wood from backyard for NPT?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, all. I found this piece of wood in the woods behind my house, and I'd like to use it for an NPT I'm building. I need to cut it to size, and I know I need to soak it at least a few days. Is there anything else I need to do? Should I scrub the moss off, for instance? Or should I not use it at all?

jentralala 05-13-2013 01:54 PM

Do you know what kind of tree it's from? Is it 'soft'? (Do pieces fall off if you scratch/rub it?)

I used sticks from my backyard from a hardwood tree, and to 'prepare' them I boiled the heck out of them (if they fit, if not I threw them in a bucket to soak for a few weeks and poured boiling water on them) then I used a wire brush to scrub them down. Then I soaked them for another few days/weeks, scrubbed them periodically, and kept an eye out for any mold/discoloration etc.

Sometimes there's worms and bugs and things in the wood, just to warn you.
Are there any fish going into the NPT?

Deanna01 05-13-2013 01:56 PM

Yeah, it's for a betta sorority. The wood is a bit rotten, and I can't tell what tree it's from.

Deanna01 05-13-2013 03:57 PM

From the scent as I cut into it, my guess is that it's cedar.

JDM 05-13-2013 08:01 PM

If it is a bit rotten, skip it. You don't want rot in the tank.

Jeff.

Bongox3 05-13-2013 08:45 PM

Just a quick add on question....I often go hiking near my home and find awesome pieces of wood....always been hesitant to use these though, as I'm unsure of the type, toxins in the area, etc....after boiling, drying, boiling again and sun drying...is there a non-toxic sealant one can use to avoid rot or release of whatever's in the wood into the water? Not so concern with the normal color tinting issues commonly assoc with added wood - but the more harmful stuff.....

jentralala 05-13-2013 09:03 PM

Hmm...good question. Maybe an aquarium safe silicone, done in several layers? I've heard of people using an epoxy resin on diy backgrounds, you could look into that.

ColoradoUtah 05-13-2013 10:19 PM

Ceder is a soft wood. It would definitely not be good in a tank. Jen is right. A hard wood seems to be what would be called for. I would think you would want to watch out for woods that have heavy tannins like oak. I would be very reluctant to pick up just any piece of wood despite its appearance. By the same token, I personally can't get too excited about putting poly-coated things in either, I almost bought something last week but got twitchy wondering if it would be safe. Questions. Questions.