Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   90 Gallon Cycling existing media need amonia? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/90-gallon-cycling-existing-media-need-176594/)

BrokerTamara 05-13-2013 11:52 AM

90 Gallon Cycling existing media need amonia?

I transferred some media ( filter pads) from 46 gallon, and some seeded bio balls from 46 gallon and some decorations. Should I add pure ammonia measured to see where I am at. I have HOB on 46 gallon and cannot transfer the filter as I have as it does not fit with the canapy. e

Water is in dechloirnated and media transferred and up and running 24 hours.

Now I want to make sure cycled before adding my two blood red parrots.

Byron 05-14-2013 05:51 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

How large are the two fish? I ask because the filter material you have put in the new tank might handle the ammonia from fish not too large, in a 90g space, and without some ammonia it will go into hibernation.

Byron.

BrokerTamara 05-14-2013 06:09 PM

Thanks for answering. My fish are 8 inches and 6 inches and just as wide. They are large.
Water paramters seem good. I have a sump 29 gallon and one more filter pad to put when I move the fish.

I am thinking of moving soon as everything seems stable. I cannot run my current filter. I could put bio wheels from filter somewhere.

I am sure it could handle my two fish as they are in 46 gallon now and this would be better?

Thanks,
Tamara

Byron 05-14-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokerTamara (Post 2049362)
Thanks for answering. My fish are 8 inches and 6 inches and just as wide. They are large.
Water paramters seem good. I have a sum[p 29 gallon and one more filter pad to put when I move the fish.

I am thinking of moving soon as everything seems stable. I cannot run my current filter. I could put bio wheels from filter somewhere.

I am sure it could handle mt two fish as they are in 40 gallon now and this would be better?

Thanks,
Tamara

Yes, from what you've indicated, I would move them. But keep a close eye on ammonia, and be prepared for a water change if it rises above zero. The ammonia bacteria will multiply within 9 hours by binary division (each bacterium divides into two bacteria) and with a good source of existing bacteria this should work. The nitrite-bacteria are a bit slower, so starting tomorrow check for nitrite.

Byron.

JDM 05-14-2013 09:22 PM

Under ideal conditions, temperature, pH, ammonia and nitrite concentrations.... 7 hours for the ammonia oxidizers and 13 hours for the nitrite oxidizers.

Yah, too much time on my hands.... I worked out the relative timelines on nitrite spikes and nitrate production while the cycle is establishing itself a while back to get a handle on plant vs non-planted low and high ammonia concentration timelines for the cycle to setup. Nobody really studies as much about the nitrite oxidizers as they do the ammonia oxidizers.

Jeff.

BrokerTamara 05-14-2013 09:44 PM

Jeff~

Now you need to explain more as marketing is my background. I transferred another well seeded filter pad to my sump and another decor from my 46 gallon tank.

Earlier I was reading 0 for ammonia and nitrites. Now I see a slight rise in ammonia under ,25 ( api test kit doesnt give much information when reading charts) and slight sign of nitrites over the past 0 readings yesterday. It also looks like I beginning to show nitrates.

So instead of tranferring I am waiting. I have crushed a small amount of fish pellets into the tank to see what would happen twice.

I have in my sump a sock at first to catch debris, then two seeded filterpads and new sponges and cermaic in a bag, then bio balls with water trickling over ( some like 20 from another tank). I also have decor from exisiting tank about 7 fake plants .

It should of been ready to transfer my fish and watch the ammonia etc and then I saw the ammonia reading looked like yellow( 0) then closer look had a hint of green and nitrate went from clear blue ( 0) to a little more color. And ofcourse nitrate slightly more color.

I tested my 46 gallon and it had no ammonia sign so I decided to wait.

The ph is slightly higher in new tank. My 46 gallon is a medium blue 7.2? The 9- gallon is a dark shade of blue so about 7.8. How can you read those charts with nothing in between.

So I decided to see what the readings are tomorrow.

I also have a question about bio wheels form my 46 gallon. Can I float them anywhere like with my filter pads as they have been running for 5 years. I have no room for this filter on the new tank.

I appreciate your response .

Thanks,
Tamara

gema 05-15-2013 06:10 AM

Transferring some gravel from the 46 gal into the 90 may help as the bacteria lives in the substrate as well as the filter.

BrokerTamara 05-17-2013 08:45 PM

Upgraded and Moved

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/at...u-close-up.jpg

Thanks for all your help as I just transferred my fish to their new 9o gallon with/29 gallon sump. Started with seeded media.

I was so nervous and everyone is so helpful with all my questions.
They immediately adapted so I will watch the testing.

I am thinking another week for water change if all goes smooth.

I was doing 20% weekly on my 46 gallon.

On this tank I want to use the sump. I will have to find out what is best as I dont want to over clean.

Looking for plants now.
My husband thinks I will be able to go a month without changing the water and I just dont think so with my huge fish.

I just put them in a bucket five gallon together when I transferred and slowing put in a water with a cup for about 15 minutes that put them in a large zip lock one at a time and floated and let go into the water.

They love the new space.

Thanks again for all tips as this tank is completely new.
Tamara

BrokerTamara 05-17-2013 08:48 PM

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/at...k-you-love.jpg

JDM 05-17-2013 09:44 PM

Pictures.... pretty please.:-D

Jeff.