Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ich - again... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ich-again-176370/)

xfatdannx 05-13-2013 12:15 AM

Ich - again...

So i upgraded from my 6g fluval edge to a 20g tall. I added some cardinal tetras and corys, i was told before 3 doses of aquarium salt (days 1,2, and 4) at 1 Tbsp per 5 gal. Are any of these fish sensitive enough to warrant a lower dosage?

jaysee 05-13-2013 12:23 AM

You could just raise the temp to at least 86 for 2 weeks. Not that you can't use salt, but I find it easier to just raise the temp.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Geomancer 05-13-2013 05:54 AM

I wouldn't use salt, their freshwater fish not brackish.

A raised temperature will speed up the cycle of Ich, go as high as you can without obvious signs of stress in the fish. Be aware that a higher temp means lower oxygen, so make sure you have a bubbler running or your filter creating good agitation.

For mediation, something like Copper Safe is a much better choice than salt. It is even safe to use with live plants. However, it should not be used with inverts (shrimp and/or snails).

With an elevated temp, and medication, a week is usually all that's required. It should go away within 4 days, but go the full week to be sure.

jaysee 05-13-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 2035506)

With an elevated temp, and medication, a week is usually all that's required. It should go away within 4 days, but go the full week to be sure.

It'll be gone with or without the medication with the elevated heat, just as it will be gone with or without the salt. Heat alone will cure the fish.

xfatdannx 05-13-2013 07:38 AM

I have treating with salt before with the Phantoms, they did fine. From my understanding, raising the temp only speeds the live cycle up, then the salt is what kills it when it tries to spread to other fish. (again this is from my understanding of how it was described to me last time).

Geomancer 05-13-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfatdannx (Post 2035938)
I have treating with salt before with the Phantoms, they did fine. From my understanding, raising the temp only speeds the live cycle up, then the salt is what kills it when it tries to spread to other fish. (again this is from my understanding of how it was described to me last time).

That's the thought behind it, but it is also very stressful to the fish.

Jaysee is right that temp alone is often enough all that's needed, but you have to get the water up high enough. It works because above 85.5 degrees ich can not reproduce, and thus they die due to their life cycle being so short.

If you can't get up to at least 86, because of say colder water fish, than I'd hands down use Coppersafe over salt. You still elevate the temperature as high as you can, to speed the cycle time as they can only be killed by chemicals in their free swimming stage.

jaysee 05-13-2013 10:25 AM

That is correct, getting the temp to at least 86 disrupts the life cycle, which kills off the parasite.

I have absolute faith the heat treatment. I administer it to every new fish while they are in quarantine. I use 88. Goldfish, dojo loaches, Denison barbs (back when they were $25 each), they have all had it. Almost 50 species have received the treatment, including cold water fish - I haven't found a fish that could not handle the treatment. Is it stressful? Possibly, but it's not like medications and salt are not. Salt is an irritant to freshwater fish, and meds are, well, meds. In my opinion, changing the temperature of the water is the easiest and least stressful method.

Byron 05-13-2013 10:30 AM

Agree, given the detrimental effects of salt especially on soft water fish like cardinals and corys, never use salt with such fish. The cardinals will be fine with 86F for a week or two. The corys won't like it, but mine have managed just for a week.

Medications of any sort add stress to soft water fish, and some species will be worse off than others, and the effect can be long-term (showing up later). Best avoided unless absolutely essential.

Byron.

xfatdannx 05-14-2013 03:23 AM

thanks guys.

xfatdannx 05-17-2013 09:52 AM

so i have turned the temp up, and the ich is "getting worse" (like it does before it gets better) But i now see signs of fin rot on one or two of my black phantoms...what should i do?!?! it is only on the tail fin.